Saturday, January 23, 2010

Reflections On the Last 2 Weeks

The Media FAST

2 weeks are in and I have 1 to go. It's been a very interesting journey. Most noticeably, silence has become a comfortable friend. The white noise of the tv, or the distracting chatter on the shows I would 'watch' in the morning has been replaced by a time to read or work without distraction. My biggest surprise was that I didn't run to the radio to fill the void. Part of the deal was that I spent time each morning reading a spiritual selection and since this was a church induced FAST the Bible was my source. But the outcome was that I began a journal highlighting a certain thought that came to me or a verse that jumped out. The silence gave way to moments of clarity or calm and became comfortable. (did ya' like that bit of alliteration?;)

Another discovery was that I didn't spend much less time on the computer. It has indeed become a part of everyday life and work. Email, banking, blogging... there is still lots to do on it. But I'm not up late at night on frivolous programs. That's a plus.

I'll give a final report next week, when this ends. So far, it has been a very good experience.

Music or Mantras and Haiti

In the posting entitled Music or Mantras I mentioned that The Beatles have always provided an outlet for my emotions. Friday night I was watching the end of the Hope For Haiti Now Telethon. It had not been my intent, but as I was scoping out the choices (there were none) I listened to some of it. Justin Timberlake sang "Hallejujah" and was just mesmerizing. I often find him mesmerizing. I know nothing of his past except that he started on the Mickey Mouse Club and was in a Boy Band, but recently I have seen him do some wonderful stuff. I love watching him develop as an artist. His talents are many, not just music, but his music is his passion and it pours from him. The song was beautiful.

I was still breathing it in, when without warning, the chords to the next song began. (This is weird, but it is me.) My heart started clenching, my hands covered my face, and before I had even identified the song, all the emotion I had been (not) feeling welled up in me. It was "Let it Be". When I am troubled, and often when I have been suppressing that feeling, two songs will bring my emotions pouring out of me; "Let it Be", and "The Long and Winding Road". Well, it poured that night and all I could think of was I didn't know why. The song was almost over before I opened my eyes, and realized it was Jennifer Hudson singing. If anyone has experienced the hopelessness, and the hopefulness expressed in that song, she is one. I let the moment sink in and allowed myself to think about Haiti. My heart goes out to Haiti, but until she sang it I had ignored it. I am sad for the children who lost their parents, for the parents who lost their children. I feel terror and pain for those trapped. I share the fear of those still waiting to hear. And I feel hope that out of this will come a better Haiti. God knows it's time. Let It Be.

2 comments:

  1. There really IS something about the words to so many of the Beatles songs. I can understand your reaction. I also know that I use music to express feelings that I don't / can't otherwise release. It's always been that way. Simple discourse doesn't do it, because it's too easy to tap into my intellectual and "reason" side of me. Music is where I connect with my emotions - and more often I have to be alone to do it, too.

    As for Haiti -- I still can't wrap my mind around this... I don't know if I ever will, or a person in my circumstances can. I wander around my comfortable home - and it's too much.

    I don't know if I ever told you but at Scott and Lisa's wedding, he chose "In My Life" by the Beatles for the Mother Son dance. I always loved that one, but now it brings tears to my eyes... :) Since I can't embed - here is the link.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2d2llB4oIQ

    I think what I like about your media blackout is that you didn't do it with an "all or nothing" mentality. You didn't say - - "No Computer totally" or "No TV totally, but chose the times and parts of those things to remove. It makes it more realistic for future changes. Computers and TV are part of our life, and it's not about removing them, but managing them - - i.e. - - making choices and being "mindful" about their use.

    Maybe after the fast you might find you go back to those things you stopped, but do them in a more mindful manner - integrating what you enjoyed and learned about yourself when they were gone. None of the things you stopped are, in and of themselves, "bad" -- but it's how they are used that can keep you from being all you can be. (Thinking of Bejeweled!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I have to be alone for (sad) emotions to show, too. When Janice was about 14 a friend of her's brother died suddenly. She came and told me and I hugged her and we talked about it. It wasn't until I went to bed that night that the tears started flowing. I didn't hold back tears in her presence. They just didn't happen.
    You did tell me about "In my Life". That was sweet. Puts a new perspective on the song, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete