Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"Be Still"

I've begun a 3 week 'media' Fast. For the next 3 weeks I have given up FaceBook, FarmTown, FarmVille, FreeCell and all daytime TV. I've never done a Fast before. Why now, you might ask? Our church is participating in the Daniel Fast. Without going into details, I'll just say that when I thought about my life, giving up some daily activities seemed to be more relevant to me than committing to a severe food fast. I am doing a modified food Fast, but my biggest sacrifice is media.

Do you know how quiet the house is when the TV is off? I can put on music but interestingly enough, the song going through my head this morning as I fixed my granola was “Be still and know that I am God”.

Be still… I don’t do that well. I can sit just fine, but “Be Still”? I am a pretty patient person. I don’t get tired or annoyed when I wait in line at the drive-through teller. I pull out my word search and try to find a couple of words in the list. At night as I watch TV I do a few Sudoko puzzles, or multi-task at something else…pay bills, check email, play FreeCell. But Be Still?

How can I hear God, if I am not Still?

My mind is always running. I wonder about other people. Are they that way? Is it possible to have a quiet mind? When I wake up at night, I’m thinking of something. Frequently when I wake up at night I am singing a song in my head. When I wake up in the morning there will be a song running through my head. Occasionally, for days it will be the same song, until I get sick of it and make myself put another one in there!

I have no idea how to Be Still.
Maybe I’ll learn.

5 comments:

  1. You and I are much alike in the the quest to "Be Still" - - and "Know". I don't do it well, either, as I have an over active mind, and, like you, often it is filled with music. I relate to the music that goes around one's head. I've referred to it as an "ear worm"! Annoying and wonderful all at the same time! :)

    However, a "media fast" does not sound like fun to me. I also think there is this "fear" inside of me of "being still" -- of having a blank canvas. I fear what might come up - - of what my inner thoughts and "soul" would tell me I need to do (or not do). I think I don't want to "Know" -- and use the noise of the media to distract me from the nebulous fears that I fear! (What I most fear is fear itself??)

    I even keep a soft sounding TV on all night. I hate night and the stark quiet and blackness, which constitutes a void in my mind. (Yeah -- and only I can fill that void -- scary stuff!) This quiet becomes "distracting" in it's own right - and I can't sleep as a result of that!

    So - - just call me neurotic! :) Maybe I need this media blackout! Or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie: I'm certain that you know that I can't be still either. The hardest thing for me to do is nothing. And while I think this trait has served me well in many capacities, it has exhausted me as well. I admire your willingness to go on a media fast and will be interested to see how it goes. We have talked of doing that also. We removed the TV from the bedroom yesterday because we need to replace it. There was no "white noise" last night and I couldn't go to sleep. I think I need to re-program my brain. I think you are very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to sleep at night is very hard without a tv. When Larry is on the road I always have it on, very low, and I set the timer. When he's home he often goes to bed before me and the tv is off, but he has sleep apnea and uses a C-Pap machine. I call it the Wind machine. It provides just the right white noise! I'll let you know how this goes.

    Today, I got up and did my workout while watching the birdfeeder for my feederwatch day. Still Multi-tasking! But I worked out!!That doesn't happen often. NO daytime TV is quiet, but helping.
    PS I miss FaceBook and FreeCell the most! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing:
    Shirley, Yes, You are the Engergizer Bunny! Whenever you left work it was as if the building exhaled. And after you retired, it took teachers up to a year to find their own energy source. They had fed off of yours for so long!
    Wendy, I can't say your comments surprised me. I know you well. Neurotic? maybe, but honest with yourself... definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie: I really appreciate your insight into my energy. It has helped me realize why I tire so when I am working and has helped me to see that I now need to use my energy to power myself. I am planning on retiring again at the end of June and need to be certain that I spend my energies wisely to enable me to do the things I yearn to do. Thank you for your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete