Thursday, January 7, 2010

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood..."



Fred Rodgers is a local hero around here. Mister Rogers, as you probably know him, is from Pittsburgh and Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood was produced here. So in keeping with my post from yesterday, I'll start with a song as I begin my daily moan (oh, excuse me, I mean blog). It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

Today is the 7th day I've had to shovel snow in the last week. Fortunately, most of those other days we only had 1 to 2 inches of light, fluffy snow. It takes an hour to shovel our drive, sidewalks and steps, but for the most part, the exertion is not intense. Today is different. We had 6 inches last night, and it is still snowing. So by the time I finished shoveling the drive, it was snow covered again. WHY am I shoveling if I will have to do it later? Because 6 inches is easier than 8. At 6 inches I could still push the snow instead of lifting and tossing. I am not alone out there. In fact, it's rather comical. Jeff with his 2 poodles, Chuck with his Golden Retriever and Maggie and I all shovel our respective areas while the dogs sit in the driveways almost begging us "Pleeeese can I go play? Pleeese??" I marvel at how well behaved they are.

And I find my sunny side to the constant shoveling. I am entirely too sedentary in the winter. The roads are salt covered, and hard on Maggie's feet. The walking paths are snow covered. I don't have boots for deep snow. But I've been out every day in the fresh air getting lots of exercise. As long as the snow is light, the work isn't too strenuous. Actually, this is more fun than lifting weights or doing situps. In fact, I discovered that today, when I was finished, I still had enough energy to take Maggie for a walk! What a surprise! That didn't happen last year! And with all the snow on the road, the salt was diluted so Maggie was ok.

It really is a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

3 comments:

  1. So I guess the light dusting on our Honda doesn't turn you on, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once upon a time... but not anymore. I do like watching it come down even if it means I will have to get the shovel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit -- and I know this comes under the heading of "Be careful for what you wish for...", but I miss shoveling snow. Granted, all I had to do was the deck and the deck stairs. I remember doing exactly what you do - - never allowing it to go more than 6 inches so I could just push it aside. Also learned that wet snow is not my favorite - except for making snowmen - - but not shoveling! I always felt tired, but invigorated after shoveling.

    ReplyDelete