Saturday, January 23, 2010

Old dog, young dog


Many years ago we had wonderful neighbors that lived behind us in Florida. They had horses that my daughter rode, and a terrific dog named Cassie. Cassie was about 6-7 years old and would come to visit our house. With the sliding glass doors open it wasn't a surprise to see her walking through. We had an old chocolate lab named Caia. The 2 dogs got along very well. When Cassie was about 9, Caia died and we got a new puppy, Maggie. Cassie was not as enamored with Maggie. Maggie thought Cassie was wonderful and would follow her around, nipping at her heels and jumping up on her. Cassie didn't visit as often.

Fast Forward 9 years. Neighbors move. We've moved. Cassie has passed on. Maggie is now 9. And Pepper is that peppy little puppy that follows Maggie around nipping at her heels and jumping up on her. Actually, the bonding process was fun to watch. Pepper's first reaction to Maggie was to run howling into her kennel cowering in fear. Maggie on the other hand completely ignored the noisy thing and visited with the adults she loved to see. Pepper's growl sounded more like a very loud purr. (Not very terrifying.)
After a few visits, Pepper relaxed and on his first day here he was fine, but cautious and shy. On Day 2 I vacuumed the kitchen. Maggie sat by the couch in the family room and watched. Pepper ran to the other side of Maggie and peered over her back. Maggie had become protector. On Day 3 Pepper was chewing on one of Maggie's nyla-bones. Maggie picked up Pepper's bone and started to chew. Pepper wanted it and went to sniff.
Maggie took it under the coffee table. Pepper followed and lay close to Maggie, inching in to try and get it. Maggie rotated counter clockwise and turned her head away. Pepper inched closer until his nose was by Maggie's face. Then he began to lick Maggie's ear. Maggie was becoming a friend.

Today is Day 4. Pepper has decided Maggie is his new best friend and buddy. He follows her, nipping at her heels. While I ate my breakfast, Maggie lay by my chair. Pepper wanted to get in my lap so he climbed on top of Maggie and reached up to my lap. As usual, she never moved. So in addition to her many fine traits--reading with Nicholas, playing doctor with Warren--she can add 'a mountain for Pepper to climb'.

As I watch her it occurs to me, old dogs and old people are a wonderful thing. They have learned the patience that comes with life's experiences. They tolerate the exuberance of youth. They've learned not to beat their head uselessly against the wall, but to let the young learn. And they know the simplest toys are the best. Maggie can keep Pepper entertained for hours by just wagging her tail.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, looks like you figured out your photo dilemma. Looks great. Love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the direction. It worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your Maggie -- such a even tempered doggie, and a wonderful guest when visiting here. I loved going for a walk with you and her - and seeing how so good she was with the strange dogs on our beach and how well she minds your commands. I don't know if I'd attribute it to "age" -- or just her basic good-natured temperament - or maybe it's a bit of both.

    I agree with your conclusion about about older people (and dogs) - that we (yeah - I include myself now...) have more patience and and tolerance to the exuberance of youth. However, I sometimes I hear such negative things about where our youth are today, and don't think that all would agree. It occurs to me that, even though times are different, we once were where they are - muddling through - being exuberant -- sometimes acting stupidly impulsive - AND making mistakes in the process. But -- unlike some with whom I've talked -- I feel that these mistakes will be - for the most part - "self correcting" -- just like ours were. They will learn in their own way and find that path for themselves.

    I also agree that the simplest of toys is the best - for both kids and furkids :) Ultimately we all figure that out, too.

    Love your pictures - - you captured it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We heard it when we were young. "I just don't know about the youth, today." My mother heard it, and no doubt, so did my grandmother. Now when I hear it I think some people have short memories, and others just choose to repeat what their elders said. For me, I choose to believe it's all apart of being young. Their energy and inexperience lead them down roads they shouldn't go. But it also leads them to blaze trails the rest of us have never imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, Looking over this post I remembered something. You met Cassie. She was the wonderful dog that came to school to hunt my lost hamster! Remember?? :)

    ReplyDelete