Friday, January 22, 2010

Meet Pepper!


The Empty Nest is not as empty today. I am babysitting a 3 month old Shitzu puppy for a friend who had to go out of town. It's been a while since I've had a puppy. We got our first puppy when I was a newly-wed, barely an adult. Daily routines, nice furniture, new carpets were not a concern at that stage of my life. My second puppy came when my children were young. My first thought was that I had just gotten another baby--blankets and toys, towels, littered the floor. Potty training wasn't too bad. I had a dark brown rug that hid stains well. The sliding glass door in the family room led directly outside. When there was an accident, I did a quick "rub the nose in the puddle", blotted the puddle with a washcloth and transferred puppy and cloth to the green grass outside. The 3rd puppy came housebroken by the breeder! Oh, yes! That is the way to go.

Pepper has had an adjustment here. He is pretty well housebroken, but I find I am not attuned to the bladder needs of a tiny dog. My lab puppy could go 4-5 hours in the beginning. My 9 year old dog can wait 12 hours now! Little dogs mean short holds. The next problem is the weather. When Pepper first came to my friend, the ground was covered in snow. He quickly went and came inside. When the snow melted early this week, there was a whole new world to explore. The Potty became secondary to The Adventure. A leash became a necessity. To Pepper, a leash means Playtime!

Today has been a day for Pepper. I've had a relaxed day, reading and watching. My first goal is to learn his schedule which also has meant standing outside for long periods of time letting him realize the leash is not for games and waiting until he 'does his thing'. Oh yes, did I mention the weather? Potty training in Florida is much nicer than Pittsburgh in winter. Aside from the obvious difference in climate, in Florida the door was right there. Here I have to grab the puppy, race down a flight of stairs while trying to pull on a winter coat, all the while saying, "No, no, no! Potty OUTSIDE, Pepper!" He loves the game and lets me know as he grabs my fingers and licks my face. Then we stand and wait.

I've made progress. No accidents since this morning, and no frostbite. Tomorrow's installment: Maggie and the Puppy!

2 comments:

  1. I had dogs growing up - but never when *I* was the one who had to do the (potty) training. This reminds me why I like cats - and that most times cats acclimate to cat boxes without much input from humans! They sort of take care of themselves. However -- as I think on it more, I realize how much we are now doing for our Shadow in her old age with the subcutaneous infusions, meds morning and night (being grateful that she will take them in food, etc. So -- you do what you will. And - - that picture of Pepper is so sweet. What a cutie. In a way you're like a "Grandma" - - you get to give Pepper back to his owner when she returns from being out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect comment! I AM like a grandma! Love it:)

    ReplyDelete