Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mantras or Music

I was looking over a journal entry of a year ago and I came across a day in which I had an excess of negative feelings. Now, I'm not normally a pessimistic person. I have been blessed with an optimistic nature; one that looks at life as full of blessings. On that day, though, I was more aware of my shortcomings than usual. In fact, I wasn't aware of them. I was focused on them. My age, my weight, my lack of motivation to exercise, yadda, yadda, yadda.

A few months later there was another journal entry. In this one I had also discovered the previous entry and was surprised at my attitude. Where had that come from? It was just not the true me. I remembered the day, and what had prompted it. It was a deep winter day. Gray. Snowy. Again.

At that point I realized that even on the gray days I would have to find the sunny side. I always knew that one of the hardest parts of leaving Florida wouldn't be adjusting to the cold, but losing those heavenly deep blue skies and sunshine that are a daily part of Tampa living. Even so, I was surprised at just how gray Pittsburgh can be. (Did you know we are 2nd to Seattle in gray, rainy days?)

In the past, on the few occasions I really had to talk myself UP, I found music was usually the key. I'm a huge Beatles fan. I've often said I never needed to use drugs. Their music was my mood altering drug. If I was sad, I could find a song that matched my need for comfort, commiseration, or cheering up. When my daughter, Janice, would see me in a lazy, I-can't-get-going mood she would put on "A Hard Day's Night". Even when I knew it was coming and said it wouldn't work, the very first chord would yank me out of the doldrums and by the end of the song I was full speed ahead. But the song that is my very best pick-me-up is "Here Comes the Sun." To those who know me, it's powers are almost legendary. It could almost be a mantra. The more down I am, the more I will replay it until the smile is on my face. It has never failed.

Mantras are good, also. The Serenity Prayer has pulled me through frustrating moments more times than I can count. But music is really my upper. Just telling myself "I love my life" usually doesn't do it for me. In this time of change in my life, I've found there are a few times when I really need to remind myself to focus on the light, even if it means turning on all the lights in the house to beat away the gray. And every week I discover another means of brightening my days.

In these challenging days it's important to know how to look on the sunny side. Is it hard for you? Do you find you fight a constant battle with negative feelings, or are you like me and tackle them one at a time when they pop up. What works for you; music or mantras?
I like hearing from people, so if you care to comment, let me know how you deal with those repetitive chores or negative feelings that creep into your daily life.

Until then, may your gray days turn sunny!
Connie

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to comment on this since I read it - but time has been of the essence. (Claire and Terry are visiting - - she's spending time recuperating from what her doc believes was H1N1, but they never tested and now it's too l ate.

    You and I may be quite different, in that I have always leaned toward being "negative" though work hard to be more "positive". I have also USED music to KEEP me in the dumps. Instead of choosing uplifting music, I'll play stuff that is in a minor key and wallow "in it". So, again - it's a choice. Yet -- I have also found that by choosing the music that brings up wonderful memories, or has upbeat mood CAN change me around.

    Case in point: At the end of my 60th Birthday party with my family, Carolyn put on "Life Goes on" by the Beatles on her stereo. (Oblidee Oblidah, Life goes on! La la la la life goes on) It ended the party on a perfect upbeat note.

    I can't imagine a world without music. It is probably closest to my soul. On long trips, I have my Sirrius Radio on and sing harmony to pretty much anything that's there. It keeps me sane. I'm almost in another (beautiful) world.

    Oh -- and as far as mantras? Forget them. When I had therapy, that was one suggestion that didn't work. To me, it seemed fake. The mood has to come from deeper than that, and I am unable to make a mantra go that deep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Interesting that you use music to KEEP you in the mood. However, I know what you mean. One time when I was very upset I put on music I thought would help. Instead I ended up crying-hard. But when it was done, I felt better. So I guess, even then, I wallowed for a while, and then moved on.
    We all have our days, and we all have our ways.

    ReplyDelete