Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jack is Back!

24 started again tonight. I have followed that TV show since it premiered. I am like many followers of 24. I am addicted!

One of the adjustments I had to make after we moved here was to the many forms of media I missed. I was surprised, but when I thought about what I missed after we moved, it was 'the sounds of home'. I missed my favorite morning show and afternoon radio--WQYK. I missed the Bucs. I missed my 'news crew' on Fox 14. These were the daily sounds and people I listened to on TV and the radio. I confess, I have seen Fox TV in a few markets and Tampa has the best FOX network, by far. In Tampa, Fox was my network of choice. I liked their morning news program (the best anywhere), I liked their news people, Kelly and John, Nancy Alexander, and Russell. I liked their TV shows. And 24 became a fast favorite.

After the move, it seemed trivial to miss such things, and yet, I still do. After 3 years, ABC has become my channel of choice, but I haven't found a radio station that I really connect with.

And 24? One of the pleasures of this (very violent) action packed tv show is the connection it makes with other people. It is always fun to discover another follower. I could tell you hilarious stories of phone calls made to (or received from) friends during commercials with quick dialogue such as: "Who was that????" or "Did you see that coming? ". Tonight the phone calls began again. 8:00pm Vicky calls. "Are you ready? Is Larry home? Are you DVRing it tonight or can I call you?" I call Jenny. "Are you ready? Did you remember?"

I think part of its draw is that if you miss ANYthing--you've missed it. There is no replay. No later discussion that clues you in to what happened. You've missed it.

We may have moved far away, but the connection still remains. And it is a silly tv show that connects friends thousands of miles apart. Odd isn't it?

2 hours are in. 22 hours to go. Take Care JACK! We are all pulling for you. All is good. Jack is back!

2 comments:

  1. I can relate - somewhat - to what you're saying, though I do not watch "24". Living in two places does a number on your sense of "feeling at home" -- and it *is* those things you mention that make a place feel homey. One of those things ARE the familiarity of TV journalists, or radio stations. You go to another spot and you feel out of sorts, as nothing is familar.

    When I go south (or north) after being in one place for 6 months, it always takes me some time to reconnect with these kinds of things. I admit, I still feel less connected down here, but, then, we haven't been here for as long, but I'm sure the connection will get stronger as time goes on.

    I'm noticing that I'm connecting more with "national" kinds of things, because they remain constant no matter where I am: For example - CNN vs. local news. Sirrius radio vs. local radio stations. I also think that's one reason why I like the internet, BECAUSE it is a "constant" in my "move-about" life. Yet -- these things tend to be more "bland" because they have to relate to too many people. There are times when I want to connect with the local area more than I do. For example, I find that I look over the "Island Packet" online (local newspaper here) when I'm up north -- and the Southampton Press when I'm down here.

    I've rambled - as usual. Your entries really are quite thought provoking for me! :) One of these days I have to start a blog like this -- but am still formulating how I'm going to approach it. It will include photos -- that's all I know as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comments about local tv and radio. That's exactly what I was feeling. Living in 2 places as you do, you've captured the essence of the problem. I really felt it was trivial to find I missed those things more than my friends, but I do keep in touch with my friends and it was the continuity of that morning radio on my way to work that was lacking. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

    ReplyDelete