Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March 1st!



It's March 1st! Normally this does not fill me with joy. To me, March is not true spring, just the promise that winter is almost over. Anyone who has lived through March in the north knows it can be cold, windy, and damp. We can still get a heavy snowfall. But this year I am ready to welcome it! Of course, the fact that the day dawned sunny and clear certainly helps, even if it was 28 degrees outside. There was a new view outside, too. The snow was all gone.

After Christmas is over, I leave out a few 'snow' ornaments to decorate the house in winter. A couple of lighted snowmen, evergreen trees and pointsettias (silk of course) brighten the house on winter evenings. A collage of pictures hangs over my microwave. I change them with the seasons. Last week I decided I was ready to put the decorations away and take the ground hog at his word. I swapped out the pictures of snow covered branches and geese on a frozen pond for the spring shots.

When I took a tour of the yard I discovered the daffodils are just as anxious as I am. It's really too early for them, but I have several that are 3 inches high already! My magnolia tree has fuzzy buds. And today, as I drove out of the neighborhood I noticed the treetops on the hillside across the road had a red tinge to them as the sap returned to the top branches.

Spring is on it's way. We've put February to bed. It is March 1st. April is only 31 days away! With a 2 week trip to Florida planned it will be a very good month indeed!

2 comments:

  1. First of all - - I love your collage photo wall hanging. I should do that...!

    Leaving a few ornaments out sounds like a great idea, and maybe next year ... that is, if the kitties have calmed down by then *g*!

    I've always found March and April two of the most frustrating months of the year - at least when I was up north. You think those months = spring -- and it should be getting warmer. If truth be known it *is*, but it's still raw and cold and often rainy, and you can't put that winter coat away. Sometimes, as you say -- there may be a freak snowstorm. The impatience for spring and colors and flowers are about to get the better of you.

    If it's going to be cold -- let it be so. If it's going to be spring -- then let it be so. But March and April are neither. They belong to "no season". they are the months of "impatience"! :)

    On eastern Long Island it's even more frustrating, because May can be just as raw, too! Because it's coastal, the cold waters blow that air over the area, making it sometimes as much as 20 degrees colder than just 50 miles west - i.e. - inland. Even early June is chilly. I have memories of watching track meets in June in my winter coat!

    This is the season when I'm most happy to be down here. As you know, I miss winter, but once spring comes here - which is about now - I'm thrilled NOT to be north on raw and cold eastern Long Island.

    And ... I'm looking forward to seeing you -- soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm officially glad I'm not on Long Island right now. Summer would be different! I'll email you soon about when I plan to come by your way. Maggie and I are ready for Dolphin Beach:)

    ReplyDelete