Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I Know Why the Bluebird is Mad

Have you seen the picture of 'The Angry Bluebird"? Several years ago an artist's rendering of a puffed out bluebird, rust covered chest, furrowed brow, beady black eyes appeared in all sorts of places from sweatshirts to stained glass wall art. My favorite was the stained glass hanging which sits on my desk.


Bluebirds are such striking birds. From the back the male is a vivid blue color. The first winter we were here I was delighted to see 2 bluebirds perched on our deck railing. The next spring a friend sent me a bluebird box. Within a week of mounting it, we were rewarded as we watched a pair of bluebirds flying back and forth with grasses in their beaks. A house was becoming a home. We enjoyed watching the goings on and for 2 years our house raised bluebird families. They only lived in the home during the summer. Once the fledglings had flown the nest the parents left as well.

Then everything changed. During the winter a house sparrow family moved in. They enjoyed the protection of the box during the winter, and rasied their family in the summer. The bluebirds came back a couple of times but the house was occupied. Last fall in a desperate attempt to return the home to it's rightfull owners I cleaned out the box and left it open for several weeks. The house stayed vacant.

In January I was delighted to see 6 bluebirds flying around the house, and checking it out. I was very hopeful.
Then last week there was a showdown. 2 Bluebirds came to investigate. The house was empty, but a sparrow perched outside. The bluebirds flew at it, but she wouldn't budge. They tried several times and finally left. By the weekend, I could see the sparrows flying back and forth with grasses. Once again they had asserted Squatter's Rights.

If I was a bank I might just evict them, but I realize that as much as I want the bluebirds to move in, I can't legislate who lives in my house. As it is, I'm glad my house isn't sitting vacant and unused. The sparrows aren't as pretty, but their babies are safe in a well-built house in a nice neighborhood.

The next time I see a mad bluebird perched on my deck rail I'll just remind him he has no one to blame but himself! Sooner or later you have to stand up for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I love them too!!!

    I posted some new pics last night on my Facebook page of all the "goings on" by our Bluebirds who CLEARLY know it's "time".

    I hate House Sparrows. I cringe every time I see one in the neighborhood. The literally KILL Bluebirds and I'm not buying mealworms to fee my Blues for predator, non-native birds to have a easy time of killing them for their house.

    Mine investigated the box again a couple of weeks ago (two pair of them) but they've built next door again so I have to content myself with having them eat here, swim and bathe here, teach their BABIES all sorts of neat stuff here and sleep elsewhere.

    I have the mug that matches your piece . . . it is a true favorite. Every time Terry senses that I'm out-of-sorts for some reason, he brews coffee and serves it to me in my "Mad Bluebird" mug.

    I have also seen that LOOK more than once when I'm late with breakfast!!!!

    Love this entry, Connie . . .thanks :)

    ReplyDelete