Saturday, March 19, 2011

Time-Elapsed Spring

I took a drive from Pennsylvania to Hilton Head, South Carolina yesterday. When I left home it was 35 degrees, barren trees, and only a hint of the coming spring. The sun rose to a clear day and as I drove through West Virgina the best news was that I didn't have to deal with snow on the highway, but there was still no sign of spring.

North Carolina brought improvements. The grass was green and I began to see the red tinge of buds appearing on the trees. It doesn't take much to get me excited at this time of year, and that was the beginning for me. The excitement rose in my veins the way sap rises in a maple tree.

I stopped for gas and took my jacket off. It was 60 outside. The breeze was mild, the sun warm. Yea!! The bright yellow of forsythia bloomed on the roadside. I started singing in the car. Maggie got up to see what I was so excited about. I don't think she got it. I continued on. Crossing Lake Norman I was enthralled by the flowering trees. It was a beautiful afternoon. If this is March in North Carolina I could live here!

At the South Carolina Welcome Center I got out for a bathroom break. Crossing the parking lot, I was almost dancing. Daffodils were in bloom!

It was 75 degrees. The sky was a deep blue above the pines. I was in heaven.

 Spring is such a beautiful time, but I would be happiest if I could skip the first 6 weeks when the world is still cold and it springs back to life in slow-motion. I love watching the time-lapsed version. Of course, when I return home, it will be early spring again, but then I get the real version....the one where I get to enjoy the daffodils and tulips for several days, the bloom of the trees as they go from gorgeous flower to pale green leaf.

Sometimes my impatience gets in the way.

1 comment:

  1. Ok ... Blogspot ate my comment. Shall we try again?

    First of all -- I totally "get" the thrill of the quick transition from winter to spring. We used to drive down here during Scott's spring break in high school - and have that same feeling as we'd go south - marveling at the sudden "new life"!

    In Hilton Head, we don't have that huge transition between winter and spring, as even in the middle of January, we're beginning to see spring - even then. The tiny Daffodil buds are beginning to come up in late January!

    Then - for us - when we leave here in early May to return back to Long Island, we get to relive another spring "springing forth"!

    We *are* blessed!! :)

    Yet -- sometimes we have missed fall altogether, especially if we leave Long Island too early. There is no fall foliage to speak of here - just a minimum of color in early to mid December. So -- you win some -- you lose some! :)

    I SO enjoyed your visit. Our house is terribly empty now and miss you and Maggie a lot. Come back soon! You and Maggie (and Larry when he can manage...) are welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete