Monday, October 11, 2010

Computers....can't live with OR without them

I had hopes for today. I got up and did my workout. I took care of the light chores. I had lunch. Then I looked at the rest of my To-Do list. Vacuum, clean up the loft, walk, read, Call HP. I REALLY didn't want to call HP. But I knew I had to.
Last week I had an issue with a wireless printer we own. I called HP and played Spider Solitaire on the desktop computer while HP used my laptop remotely to find out what the problem was. The techs are very cordial, and pleasant. They say my name with a funny accent and occasionally the connection on the speaker phone seems to screech, but I don't mind. They can navigate the morass that makes up a computer hard drive with an ease that eludes me. I watch my arrow seemingly move with a life of its own until, voila, my printer begins to work! Yea!! I think.
The next day I open Internet Explorer. A dialogue box pops up telling me my security program has been disabled. Hmmm. I play around and have no clue. I try to turn it back on, but nothing happens. I restart my computer. No luck.
I'm busy. I don't have time for this. So I ignore it until I do.
Today I can't ignore it anymore. It is time to face the phone...HP tells me the problem is in my computer, not my printer. DUH...'no, they can't fix it'. Toshiba tells me the problem is in Windows. Call Microsoft. Microsoft tells me it will be faster if I go online. I spend hours online clicking here and there and literally going in circles. Each click eventually takes me back to the beginning, with no PERSON in sight! Finally, I go back to the phone with the information MS wants just to tell me how much it will cost for me to talk to a person.
Bottom line? Another pleasant tech takes control of my computer, does her guru thing, makes SURE MY PRINTER STILL WORKS, and leaves me grateful and annoyed.

Computer and printer: $800.00
Tech support to make it all work: $60.00
Assuaging my frustration .....  Priceless????    Not Exactly. Maybe I shoulda' bought an Apple.

3 comments:

  1. I SO despise being sent on that circular "run-around" -- one says it's someone elses problem - and that person says it's the original person's problem. I'm glad you got it all fixed, but -- it sure stinks the amount of money that you had to shell out because technology that should work -- didn't.

    You and Scott both. Every time I have a computer hassle, he reminds me of my mistake in not purchasing a Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet we have the same wireless HP printer . . . I tried to use the scanner today and got a message telling me to uninstall everything and reinstall it . . .

    Well, excuse me, but wasn't that LAST week's solution for a printer problem?

    How long, O Lord, how long!!? I got NO time for this.

    ReplyDelete