Sunday, October 17, 2010

Perfect Sunday Afternoon

October is the one month you can really relish a perfect afternoon. Today, the air is cool, the sun is bright, the sky is blue. As the sun sets the hillside glows like it only can in October.
Today as I sit on the deck I feel good about the completion of a job--the yard is freshly mowed. I wear my Ronde Barber football jersey. It is just the right weight and coverage for the temperature. In Florida it was too hot to wear it.
I sit and read a book in the late afternoon sun with an amply fortified screwdriver (that's beverage, not tool).
There is only one problem that crosses my mind.
When I moved here my goal was to read the unread books on my shelves and remove them one by one. The goal was to have only a few boxes of books to take with me the next time me moved. But the local used book store, Barnes and Noble, and my book club are conspiring to introduce me to enough really good books that I want to keep them.
Today I am reading one of them. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society has me laughing out loud, loving the characters, and marveling at what people go through in times of war.
I live in a place where the proximity of war is unknown. I am grateful.
My shelves will have one more book to protect.
And I have one more perfect Sunday afternoon to remember.

2 comments:

  1. And ... isn't it more important to have that Sunday afternoon to remember?

    It is interesting that we have been protected from war on our shores in our lifetime. I hope and pray that can stay that way.

    You have THE most gorgeous view outside of your house in the fall. It's overwhelming with color -- a photographer's paradise! :) Fall is my favorite season -- perfect temperatures, incredible vistas. It's a time to be outdoors -- but also to prepare to be indoors once winter arrives.

    What a nice comfy blog entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the glow that comes on a late fall afternoon. It's the angle of the sun coming through the colored leaves. That hillside lights up when the low sun hits it. But actually, the AIR lights up on a fall afternoon.

    ReplyDelete