Thursday, October 7, 2010

Welcome, Fall

September flew by helped along by the birth of Samantha. I am home again, and slowly regaining the rhythm of the day. I have to admit that one advantage of family and job is that it always made it easier for me to get back into a routine. Since the demands on my days are few, it always takes me about 3-4 days to regroup and develop a daily pattern.

It didn't help that I was welcomed back home by 4 days of rain and cold weather. I was only able to get out and walk one day. Today is wonderful. The sun is shining, the sky is blue and I'm finally able to really see the beginnings of the fall colors around me.

Fall is truly my favorite season. The changing leaves and the crisp air are hard to beat. As much as I enjoy summer with it's warm days and trees covered in green, a beautiful fall day cannot be matched. I love the golds, russets, reds; fields of goldenrod, and bloom of mums. Unfortunately, sometimes I have a difficult time embracing it. I also see it as a signal that winter is on the way and it will be many months before I can enjoy those warm days again. But last year, I discovered one of the hidden blessings of fall.

There is a natural progression to fall. It begins with just a hint. The days become 'slightly' cooler, and just a bit shorter. As it moves on the world around me becomes breathtaking. I fall in love with cool nights for sleeping, windows open during the day, air that is crisp and clear. Eventually all great things must come to an end. The colors fade to brown. The days become cold and chilly. But just then Christmas lights appear everywhere--in stores, in nursery's, on city streets. By Thanksgiving, fall maybe almost past and winter may be almost here, but the holiday season is in full swing. And that brings it's own special joy.

Fall provides a beautiful backdrop as it transitions us from summer to winter. And the Holiday season provides a beatiful backdrop as winter arrives. One of the side effects of spending so many years in Florida is that I found winter harder this time than when I lived here as a child. But there are gorgeous winter days as well.  So as Fall descends I will embrace it in all it's stages. I will be like Frederick in Leo Lionni's children's book. I will absorb all the colors of summer and fall so that when winter comes I can remember that deep blue sky, green leaves, daisies, rosebushes, warm sun, and babbling brooks. And on a gray, rainy or snowy day, I'll pull out those memories and warm myself with them as I sit by the fire.

2 comments:

  1. As you know -- I don't quite feel as you do, mainly because our winters are not spent in the cold climate. I miss winter. Yet -- I understand the feeling of knowing that fall is the end of the life cycle that began in the spring with small, tiny buds. There always is a sadness at the end, knowing that we need to go through a time of "hibernation" before life is renewed again. I feel comforted by the cycle. I think that it would be more difficult to live in Florida for that reason, because the cycle is not as pronounced.

    Yet -- fall is my favorite season. It is such a relief to be done with the long days of relentless heat, and to do away with summer's haze and embrace the clear, crisp days. However, it's the fall colors that "make" the season for me. It's a photographer's paradise.

    I have been begging Ray to remain up here during fall because there is not much fall color in Hilton Head. Fall is invigorating and energizing for me, and I *think* we're doing that, not going to Hilton Head until after Thanksgiving.

    I remember my Alaskan friend saying in her blog that she survives the long winter up there by dividing out the cold months into "segments" and designating certain times to look forward to: Christmas -- a vacation which they time to be "mid winter" -- the ice festival in March. It divides the time into manageable weeks rather than "long months".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are staying north for the Fall. It is such a great time of year. Enjoy it!
    I also love the idea of breaking winter into sections. Up to Christmas is easy. I'll have to work on the January to March time! That will take work. LOL.
    It's kind of funny. The first winter back I spent most of February in Florida. It was THE winter month that year with lots of snow. I felt badly that I'd missed it. That feeling stayed, right up until I had to deal with it alone. I love the snow, but it's like the heat you had this summer. Too much and it loses it's charm.

    ReplyDelete