Friday, October 22, 2010

The Pumpkin Patch

Our church took on a new fund raising project this year. We are selling pumpkins! I've been involved in a project like this before. When we lived in Florida, Jenny introduced the idea to her Youth Fellowship group when she was a junior in high school. It was so successful it is still the main Youth fund raiser over 15 years later.

I've discovered one big difference between a 'Pumpkin Patch' in Florida and one in Pennsylvania. The temperature! Last week when Jen called me I was at the patch. It was a cold, blustery day with rain showers occasionally pelting us. I was bundled up in long underwear, jeans, socks, boots, long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt, coat and hat. It was NOT a 'perfect fall day'! In Florida I would have been enjoying a balmy 80 degrees in a cute fall t-shirt with pumpkins and scarecrows on it. And my customers would have been able to see it.

The weather and I have been very consistent. I have been at the 'Patch' every afternoon, and it has been cold, windy, and cloudy every day. Sweatshirts, hats, gloves and heavy coats are the uniform of choice by most of the workers. The occasional bursts of sun were welcome, but short lived. I don't know that it is actually colder than usual. I suspect my perspective is colored by the fact that I am out for 3 hours at a time, and usually just sitting, as opposed to walking or being physically active.

Despite my complaints, the 'Patch' has been a lot of fun and has a lot to offer visitors. Along with a cornstalk maze and activities for children, there is a story telling tent, some musical entertainment and a concession stand on the weekends.

I'm really glad we have taken on this project. It is a great opportunity for church members to work together, and to meet the community. I hope it is a huge success and we can repeat it in the future.
But right now, what I'm really hoping for are some warmer days. I have a couple of fall sweatshirts I want to show off, and it's hard to see them under all these layers!

2 comments:

  1. "I have a couple of fall sweatshirts I want to show off, and it's hard to see them under all these layers!" That's saying something when the sweatshirts are the underlayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Of course, today and tomorrow it is in the high 60's, sunny and I'm off. I'll be back Monday,(which is forcast for 70% chance of rain--LOL)

    ReplyDelete