Monday, September 20, 2010

Meeting Samantha

I've been busy this week. I met a new little girl and I've been trying to get to know her. I met her Wednesday afternoon but she was asleep. She slept a lot that day. Each day she wakes up a little bit more and takes in the world around her. She hasn't figured out at all who I am, but one day she will. I am her grandmother.

Newborn babies are mysterious little creatures. The come into the world already part of a family they know nothing about. The bond between them and their new family is both immediate, strong and yet a little tenuous. They have a communication system all their own and it has to be decoded. They have a mixed up sense of night and day. They wake when we are busiest, or sleepiest. Their needs are limited, but demanding. "Feed me NOW!" "Ewww! I'm wet. Do something about it NOW!!" or the ever frustrating "I have no idea what I want but I want it NOW!!!" The next few weeks will be devoted to learning about this new being.

Samantha is a sweetheart. She is so tiny compared to her 3 year old brother. She grunts when she wiggles or squirms. Her little legs pump in and out. Her arms reach out and up. She rolls her head from side to side when she squirms in her seat. In reality there is nothing that sets her apart from other newborns. Except she is OURS! That alone makes her one in a million! At first her eyes were often squeezed shut. She would open them to check out this new world, but it is obviously so much brighter than where she was just a few days ago. She checks out her mother and father, and occasionally me. Today she really began to look around the room.

Her big brother is curious and protective of her and proud. Larry arrived Friday night just a few hours after she came home from the hospital. Warren immediately said, "Paberry! Come look at the baby!", reached for his hand and took him to the crib. He checks her if she fusses, but he doesn't hover. "The Baby" is a part of the house but he continues to enjoy his own world. So far, there are enough adults to go around so he hasn't had to share the attention.

One of the joys of being a grandparent is watching a family unfold from a distance. The distance isn't marked in miles, but in years. The years between being THE Parent, with all it's fatigue, demands, hopes and expectations, and being a grandparent, an onlooker who has a little perspective, but mostly none of the demands. I am looking forward to watching this little girl grow up. To get to know her. What will her playtime obsession be? Will she love dolls? Playing house? Pretending to cook? Maybe she'll be fascinated about how things work and she'll try to put things together, play puzzles, roll around with her brother's cars, trucks and tractors. Or will she be creative, love to draw, play with playdoh, create things with blocks?
After watching 2 little boys turn into such wonderful little beings, I know how much I will enjoy watching this little girl develop.

That's the mystery of babies. They are so new, so fresh, but beneath the surface they already have qualities and characteristics just waiting to explode into real people. It was great meeting Samantha, but getting to know her is the real fun of being a grandparent. It's one of my favorite parts of living the life of an 'empty nester'.

1 comment:

  1. What fun it was reading this entry about your perspective on being a grandma to Baby Samantha, and really, a grandma in general!

    I have often wondered how I'll be if/when I become a grandmother myself. Will it come naturally to me? Scott and Lisa swear they are on some kind of 6 year plan, so unless they really aren't, I don't have this in my future for a while. I never felt I was a "natural" nurturer of babies and was scared about this prior to Scott's birth. I have never gravitated to babies in general, so it was a legitimate concern. However, all that worry was laid to rest when he came into the world and my "love and nurture" kicked in! He was mine and he was special!

    So -- reading your perspective was very interesting - and helpful for me - - a kind of sneak preview of (possible) things to come.

    ReplyDelete