Thursday, September 9, 2010

10,000 Steps

I've been on a quest lately. It is to increase my activity. To that end, I have set a goal of 10,000 steps a day. This is not a random number. It is one that keeps popping up in various places. One year at work someone gave us pedometers to help us track the number of steps we walked each day. That was probably the first time I heard we should try to walk 10,000 steps a day. Being teachers, and always on our feet, I am sure most of us figured that was going to be easy. I was surprised to see I didn't walk that much. Of course, at that school the library was located right next to the office, mailboxes, bathrooms and cafeteria. I soon realized that being on my feet didn't automatically translate into walking. It just wasn't happening.

After I retired and moved, it got much worse. Not only wasn't I walking a lot, I was much more sedentary. I wasn't on my feet nearly as much. I could grab a beer and a bag of chips and settle down to watch TV in only 10 steps. I didn't need a pedometer to know I was in trouble. But those fitness experts, health experts, and others kept telling me my heart, muscles, and bones needed 10,000 steps to stay fit. Well-meaning nags!

A couple of months ago I read a book called The Wildwater Walking Club. The main character was trying to do the same thing...walk more. She got a pedometer and started walking. I loved the beginning. Day 1--11,032 steps. Day 2--OUCH 232 steps. The book was a fun read but I was most impressed when I read the author's note at the end. While she had been writing the book, she managed to get in 10,000 steps every day. I was impressed.

Recently I was given a new pedometer. I decided it was time to reach the goal. I have begun walking purposefully on a daily basis. Over the years I've let Maggie's interest in checking out who's been where influence my gait. No more. If she wants to walk with me, she has to stop sniffing at every tree or mailbox. For the most part I have been successful.

It seemed to be a lot easier in the summer. I was pretty active working in the yard and keeping busy. Now with fall approaching I'm not as busy. It's getting harder. Weekends are the worst. We go, but that doesn't mean we walk. Last Saturday I counted off 4300 steps! Hmm, not good. The challenge continues. As of this writing, I'm only at 9400 for the day. Guess I'd better get off the computer and go run around the house a few times.

2 comments:

  1. Connie: I too am a part of the "walking challenged". I find my habits have changed and although I try to walk on the treadmill a few times per week, it is certainly not enough. Maybe you and I need to work on this together, albeit at a great distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, If you start walking my way, and I start walking your's... oh wait that's a song isn' it. ;) It would take a lot more than 10,000 steps too.
    Maybe we could do a FB challenge and post our steps on FB each day? LOL. Good luck with your step count as you embark on your trip.

    ReplyDelete