Saturday, September 4, 2010

Half the Sky

I read a book this week that keeps me awake at night. It is written by 2 NY Times reporters and it is called "Half the Sky". The title comes from a Chinese Proverb, "Women hold up half the sky". You may be hearing more about this book from me in coming months. If you do, that is a good thing. It means it has stuck with me. If you don't that will be sad because perhaps I've let it become a moment in my past.

I thought when I started the book that it would talk about microcredit opportunities for women in 3rd world countries and how they were lifting themselves out of poverty with small loans that they were able to turn into profitable ventures. Oh, that the world should move so simply. That turned out to be one chapter, but the issues facing even those people are so much more complicated. If my oldest sister is reading this she is probably thinking, "At last, my baby sister is waking up." She has spent a lifetime being aware of the rest of the world. I have spent a lifetime being aware of myself and the world I interact with.

"Half the Sky" starts out with chilling tales of forced prostitution of young teens, by their families or by others who prey on them and promise them jobs in the city. Then it goes on to tell horrific stories of young girls raped by men in an effort to force them to marry them. If the girl marries the man he is forgiven for the rape. If she doesn't marry him she has to commit suicide in order to not bring dishonor on her family. The book continues to highlight other types of atrocities against women world wide.

As horrible as this all seems, the authors have studied, researched and reported on these issues often enough and they have wonderful, redeeming stories of how some girls have risen above each of these to become productive leaders in their world. In one case, a girl with no education, was rescued by a hospital after a pregnancy and delivery gone wrong. She stayed at the hospital and helped out as she healed. She was allowed to help in the OR and showed such adeptness she was allowed to assist during the surgeries. Eventually she was able to do routine surgeries by herself and even trained other people at the hospital! Finally, she decided it was time she learned to read so she went to school. Incredible!

The authors give the reader multiple examples of efforts that have succeeded, as well as many well-meaning attempts that resulted in fiasco's. Most often, the programs that succeed are run by the local populations, who understand the customs they are trying to overcome, but they are funded by people like you and me. They give lots of places to get involved and tell you just how your money will be used.

I read another book last year, that has also never left me. It was called "Three Cups of Tea", by Greg Mortenson. Greg was a mountain climber who became lost on K-2 in Pakistan and was found by some mountain villagers. They took him in and helped him recover. While he was there, he discovered children taking themselves to school...no building, no materials, a teacher who came once or twice a week...but they went to school everyday to do the lessons he gave them. Greg has become the single biggest builder of schools in rural Pakistan and Afghanistan. In fact he is one of the success stories recounted in "Half the Sky".

Both books come to a similar conclusion. The way to improve any of these peoples' lives is through education, and mostly the education of women. Time and again women go back and change the life of their village. They encourage and care for one another. Once the village learns the real impact of some of their customs and how it impacts their economy and their health, they are empowered to change.

I don't read non-fiction very often. Usually my tastes go to mysteries, the fun Stephanie Plum series by Jan Evanovich, and other escapist material. But once in awhile I am inspired to do something to improve myself. I'm not sure what will come of all these efforts to 'educate Connie', but I hope something does. For now, let's just say the heart has been awakened.

No comments:

Post a Comment