Thursday, February 4, 2010

Peace at Last!


Hello everyone, Maggie speaking. I know my mom has been telling you all about the cute little puppy visiting us. I decided it was time to speak up for myself and tell you just how I see it. My mom thinks I'm wonderful, which of course, I am. She also talks as though I don't know how to take care of myself, just because I let the little rug runner jump all over me. I don't know what she expected. Does she really not have a clue??

First of all, let me explain that from the very beginning I was NEVER destined to be a mother! I have a charming little black spot on my beautiful ivory coat; (humans would say they had a beauty mark.) Well, for some reason, my breeder saw it as a flaw and lowered my price with the agreement that my new owners would never have me bred. See what I mean? I was NEVER destined to be a mother!


Secondly, you've seen the pictures. You know the facts. I AM BEAUTIFUL! Everyone says so. If anyone comes to pet me they always comment on what a beautiful dog I am. (my owner almost typed in 'god' by mistake--easy to do.) Even she calls me Gorgeous Girl, so there's no surprise here. In fact, I wish they would go by my given name, Magnolia Rose. It is so much more elegant...so much more ME.

I do not hunt. I love to sniff the many scents outside, but I have no interest in lowering myself to chasing some little critter through the mud. Identifying it's smell is pleasure enough for me.

(Mud is great of course, on a hot summer day, but overall, it doesn't look good on me.)

As my mother says... I was born to be pretty.

Then suddenly, I was expected to help raise a puppy! Now, really! What did she expect? I must admit I learned skills I have never had to use. I learned to show my ugly face, but my teeth didn't faze him. I tried my low voice. He ignored it. I even pushed him away with my paw. He rolled away and ran right back. Finally, I resorted to using my mouth to push him to the ground.
Unfortunately, nothing worked. He never saw me as more than a big Teddy Dog. I think his problem may have been all that long floppy fur that he had. There were times I wasn't even sure I could see his face, so maybe he couldn't see mine! Once after he'd been rolling around on his back, the hair stuck out in every direction like a little floor mop. I couldn't even tell which end was which. Anyway, first thing in the morning, when I was still trying to wake up, and throughout the day, I endured the barking, the jumping, the nibbling, the licking.... it went on and on. My saving grace was that since he is a puppy he took long naps. Phew!


I am happy to say he has gone home now and I can get caught up on my naps. Mom says maybe if I had tried the mouth thing, and the teeth thing, and the low voice thing all at the same time he would have gotten the message to Leave ME alone!, but who knew? I told you... from the beginning I was never meant to be a parent!


You know, all this talk about Pepper makes me realize it's been pretty quiet here the last couple of days. I wonder if he's going to come visit?

4 comments:

  1. It's fun to talk from our "furkid's" point of view. I do often look into Shadow's eyes and wonder what she's thinking - - and plotting.

    Also -- reading Maggie's story about how she was "never destined to be a mother" kind of made me think about "perfection" -- and how we define that. Dog breeders have a standard, but Maggie's pretty black spot ... now that is true beauty - perfection in it's own way - God's perfection! It's the first thing I was drawn to when meeting Maggie for the first time.

    You know I've never been a true "dog person" -- but I loved Maggie when she first came to visit - and can't wait for your next visit with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie's breeders raised show dogs. They knew she might not produce show quality and the deal was if they sold her for less, they didn't want us to raise/sell/or show...in other words profit from her. We agreed b/c we didn't want any puppies anyway. So that mark is her discount mark.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh -- it does make sense as to what they did, as I know there are standards for breeds, and your breeder didn't want you to be benefit of paying less for Maggie, then breeding her to show the puppies.

    I was thinking more philosophically (I know - silly *g*) when I made my comment - like - about how we define perfection. Sometimes we find those "flaws", which dog breeders know will keep a dog from the winner's circle, very endearing. :) Love those discounts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right about how we define perfection. In fact, my next post will probably address that from an entirely different direction. Our visual flaws often are seen as negatives when they may actually indicate something quite different.

    ReplyDelete