Sunday, February 14, 2010

Some Change is Good

It's been 2 weeks now since I ended my Media FAST. Before I really reviewed the results I thought I should wait and see what the long term result was. My final assessment is that it was a success.

In many ways, I enjoyed it. I did participate in the recommended Food Fast on a limited basis, and I was very glad when it ended. I guess I can't be very surprised. I learned years ago that you find what you look for. I felt I would find the food fast annoying, or distracting, but not inspiring. That was true. I found what I expected. However, there were a few pluses that came from it. I found some healthier brands, and both Larry and I found that a bowl of shelled unsalted nuts, (walnuts, sunflower seeds, almonds) and raisins sitting on the counter were a welcome treat. Since I think salt or sugar is the key to any afternoon snack, that's a big improvement.

After a few initial days of readjustment, I was surprised at how quickly I settled into a quiet house. I expected to have the radio or CD player on all the time, but instead I was very selective about when I chose to add noise of any kind. My activities became very focused and intentional. It was a very positive change.

What happened when the FAST was over and I was free to resume my old ways? Yes, I play Free Cell frequently, but so far, I exhibit more control. I've gone back to Face Book, but I'm not compulsively driven to post anything. Two changes stand out to me. First of all, the TV is on much less than before, and I've found it is very easy to turn it off. Secondly, I've probably given up the FaceBook games: Farmville and Farmtown. I was feeling obligated to playing before the FAST. I was starting to resent the demands of having to check in and harvest or plant crops. The challenge had worn thin. I was looking for a reason to stop.

It was the FAST that gave me the chance to step back and see what really was important to me. I read more. I write more. I find it easier to stick to activities that often took a back seat to habits that had gotten in the way.

It was a good experience. I am really glad I did it. Of course, some changes are easier than others. Ask me to go ANYWHERE without my car mug of hot tea (or McDonald's large ice tea in the summer) and you've got a fight on your hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment