Saturday, February 27, 2010

Some Days the View is Just Plain Cloudy

I'm not sure today is a good day to post my thoughts. However, the name of this blog is View From the Empty Nest and some days the view may not be so sunny. As I look outside the snow is falling. Again. It's been snowing most of the day. It snowed yesterday. In fact it has snowed 21 out of 26 days this month. Our first real snowfall was the week before Christmas and it was a beautiful snow, perfect for kids to play in. We went to Florida for Christmas and came back on New Year's Eve. It snowed December 31st and every day for the next 2 weeks. We had a break and then February hit. It doesn't help that February is the busiest traveling time for Larry. That leaves a lot of days where I am home alone.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had found something I had written last winter on a day when I was in a very negative mood. After I found it I knew it would be important to find ways to see the sunny side on a gray day. If I'm not mistaken, last year January was a long month. But this winter February has been a very long month at the end of a very long winter.

My husband says he is an optimistic person, but I think he is an optimistic person with a good dose of realism. My youngest daughter is a pessismist with a good dose of realism. By that I mean that they are both pretty close to center in how they view the world, but one tends to see the bright side more frequently and the other tends to find the flaws. My oldest daughter is closer to her father. As for me, I am a very optimistic person. I always see the glass 3/4 full, even if it's 3/4 full of hot air. (Come to think of it, I'd LOVE to see some hot air!)

Today, when I looked at the glass it was empty, and I'm not putting it outside to see what it catches! I'm ready for a good laugh, but I will settle for a good massage. That comes on Wednesday. However, the more I look at the glass, I think I know what would fit well in it. I'm going to fill it 3/4 full of "Florida Sunshine" and 1/4 full of Russian Vodka. (Or maybe I'll reverse that. Like I said. I'm ready to laugh!)

3 comments:

  1. *thud*

    I see that Connie's down for the "eight count" due to Russian Vodka. :-0

    But -- when you come-to from that Russian "punch" - be aware that meanwhile I've been laughing my butt off reading this entry. Yeah -- instead of crying, laughing works a whole lot better, and I see you have embraced "silly" to keep the tears in check - - at least until the Russian Vodka takes charge *g*

    All I can think of now is that cute little cross stitch I once saw in your house, "Bloom where you are planted". Well -- if only SOMETHING would bloom under all that snow, it sure might help. Maybe it requires you bloom first?? Gotta find some soil - and nutrients - and water (uh - melted snow?) - and maybe Larry to come home - and God knows what else might help. Maybe a good old fashioned trip to Florida via Hilton Head? I can order up some Russian Vodka for us both ... or maybe (a better choice?!) some good old fashioned white wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a good dose of G-D and Dottie with a few bottles of beer thrown in for laughs. I'm with you. Today is the first sunny day we've had in "I don't know how long because I forgot". I think I could easily suffer from light disorder if not something else. I'm sure having worked with me for so many years, you could think of some other disorder I might have. On a lighter note, we are planning that trip to PA next October and will plan to maybe have lunch together or something. I hope it's not still snowing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, you are true friends.I can hear you chortling (Wendy) at my misery. Wine (no whine allowed), a great walk on the beach in Hilton Head followed by a good old Family Party in Tampa is just what I need to clear the cobwebs! Thanks for the laughs. I love you both.
    And G-D, we can't wait to see you and Jan in October. Be sure to include us on your itinerary.

    ReplyDelete