Saturday, February 13, 2010

What is Cold?

I am in my PJ's watching the Olympics tonight. My overall sensation is "comfy". I haven't seen much sun in the last few days and no matter what I set the thermostat at, the house seems cold. I've reached the time of year where I begin the day by putting on the first layer: long underwear, wool socks; the second layer: jeans or sweat pants, and a sweat shirt, boot socks; and if I'm going out, I add the third layer: boots, (slippers if I'm staying in) and coat, scarf, hat, gloves. If I'm shoveling the coat is a medium weight. If I'm walking, it's a heavier coat. I don't mind the cold when I'm outside, but inside I want to be warm.

Of course, my sister who lives in Canada in an old farmhouse heated only by a wood burning stove, might be laughing at me. But then, last week I was laughing at my friend in Florida who was wrapped in a blanket with a space heater at her feet.

The truth is, cold is relative. I've experienced Florida cold. It is COLD! And very damp. Florida can chill you to the bone in temperatures that feel refreshing in Pennsylvania. In fact, since this weekend is the Daytona 500 I can safely say, I am glad I can watch from my home in my comfy PJ's if I want to. I have been to the 500 when a moderately cool day translated into very cold seats high up in the stands. This weekend, the Daytona will be a cold race, not moderately cool. I'm glad I'm home.

I'm glad at the end of the day I can change out of my layers into my favorite PJ's and warm bathrobe, sit on the couch and take in the triumphs and disappointments of people who are apparently oblivious to the cold; the Winter Olympic Athletes!

What feels cold to me may be freezing to some of my friends and barely noticeable to others. Fortunatly most of us adjust to the climate we live in. I'll watch these athletes, admire their skill and discipline, rejoice when they win, commiserate when they don't, and be grateful that I can watch from the comfort of my home in my warm PJ's.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you...I keep watching those athletes and spectators out in the cold for fun and shake my head. I only get out once a week between all our snow storms and am glad to stay inside! I am definitely a different breed than them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well,Connie, I don't know. I'm doggone tired of the cold, no matter what kind of cold it is. The sun hasn't come out for days and I'm sick of my winter gear. We've been wishing for a cold winter. OK, I'm done with that. Could I have a sixty degree day, please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Florida has had a cold winter haven't they! I understand your longing for 60 degrees. Right now, I am watching a heavy snow fall and know tomorrow I will be shoveling again. Right now, I will be happy to see GREEN and especially on the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to answer this because I could probably have written this. You and I are similar because we have both lived in two different climates, and have observed the natives in each place.

    It is interesting how our perspective changes as we move from one place to another. It gets to 30 degrees here, *that* is a cold snap - - and now feels like one to me! Yet -- remember when 30 degrees meant that it was maybe warming up from a cold snap where there were temps in the teens! Skiing in 30 degrees is the optimum temperature!

    My friend from Fairbanks, Alaska (Actually "North Pole, AK") who experiences routine temps in the double digits below 0 tells me that when it gets to 30 degrees, people wander out of their houses in shorts, thinking that spring has arrived and they are having a heat wave!

    Oh -- by the way, I'm answering this with my WordPress identity -- so -- this is Wendy. My blog is up and running, though I haven't updated it in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iknew it was you. You still are signed in as Sweetmeow. I always get a kick out of watching people react to the cold. In Florida, one Christmas that reached into the 50's (maybe) the kids were all wearing their new legwarmers outside. (This was in the '80's of course.) And PE was always held indoors if the temp. went below 55. In Iowa when it was 10 below, I saw a couple of teenage boys walking into Subway or McDonald's in shorts and sneakers. As for me, coming from FL. I was literally shocked by the feel of my ice cold jeans on my bare legs after I had run from a warm building to the car. This year, I noticed 7 degrees just sounds 'cold' to me, not 'really cold'. But I agree with Shirley. I just want to feel 60 degrees again!

    ReplyDelete