Sunday, February 28, 2010

Olympic Gold

The Olympics are over tonight. I enjoyed watching them, but I am ready to return to my "normally scheuled program". However, there is no way to let them go by without recognizing the fight for Gold during the Hockey game between the U.S. and Canada. Wow! What a game!

I'm going to start by saying that I am glad Canada won. I'm not being unpatriotic. I am being gracious. There are certain events that cannot be eclipsed in my mind. The Bucs winning the Super Bowl still outranks the Pittsburgh Six. For Tampa it was a dream so far out of reach for so long that achieving it was a thrill that will last a long time. Dale Earnhardt finally winning the Daytona 500 after being denied for so many years (and winning every other race in his career) was another moment. But the Olympic moment for me will always be The Miracle on Ice.

Do you remember that moment? I do. Our country was going through a very dark time. The Iranian Hostage Crisis was the main news topic. The embassy had been under seige for almost 3 months. If memory serves me correctly (and I could be fuzzy here) I also think that until that time patriotism was running at an all time low. National pride was in limited supply. Apathy was not. The Hostage Crisis served to re-awaken us and start to bring us closer together, but when the Americans advanced in the Hockey quest, there was a clear increase in our energy level.

The night we won Gold was a euphoric moment. People all over stood and sang our national anthem, and it didn't matter where they were; in bars, in restaurants, in airports. Larry was traveling at the time and he told me the pilot announced the win and the people on his flight cheered and then sang. When have you ever experienced that? The pride we feel in the success of our athletes is interesting, but wonderful. And one of the most wonderful parts of that win was that it was at home, in Lake Placid.

This win wasn't a first for Canada. They've won gold in hockey 8 times, but this one was on home turf and I'm happy for them. It is such fun to celebrate at home. Our time will come again, but nothing will surpass the 1980 Olympics in my mind.

Nice job, Canada. It was a great show, beautiful scenery, wonderful stories and some very sad moments. Our youth have new heroes to emulate and that is where the real gold is found. The champions from all countries are so inspiring. The sacrifices, the dedication and discipline, the hopes, these are the 'mettles' that forge real gold and I am honored to have witnessed them.

1 comment:

  1. I sort of feel the same way as you do about the hockey game. Yeah - - I was rooting for the USA, but once Canada won, I realized that it was wonderful. It was meant to be - for them - and being on "home ice" had to have meant everything to them - - kind of like our win over the USSR in Lake Placid. I, too remember that time -- and it's seared in my memory as one of those patriotic wonderful boosts that we needed desperately during that time of the hostage crisis, etc. Even if we had won yesterday, it could never have been classified as a "miracle on ice" as that 1980 win was. It meant more to Canada than to us -- and I'm glad they got it. :)

    As for the Olympics themselves, I am truly sad they are over, and I always feel very let down after the closing ceremony is over. I was glued to the TV these past 2 weeks. I am reminded that I have to wait 4 more years until I get to see it again - and it seems too long to wait. Personally, I am partial to the winter Olympics, as I particularly love winter sports - always have. Maybe it's my love of snow and ice? Anyway - the 2 years I have to wait for the summer Olympics isn't quite the same - for me, anyway.

    Yet -- it always happens. Time will pass quickly and in no time the Winter Olympics will be around again! :)

    ReplyDelete