Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Winter Hobby

This winter I joined the Cornell University Feeder Watch. Last year, I didn't even have a bird feeder, but then a friend sent me a Bluebird box.

I was so excited and I couldn't wait to put it up. Within a week of our mounting the box in our backyard 2 Bluebirds moved in. It was such fun watching them come and go and then, several weeks later, we watched as the fledgling tried it's wings and off flew the little family.

One of my great disappointments is that inspite of the fact I cleared the old nest out, as per instructions, a pair of House Sparrows moved in for the winter.

For my birthday I asked for a bird feeder. Larry gave me one, a sweet clear tube with copper fittings. I added a suet box and a finch sack. The feeders were hung in the middle of the yard, not too close to the bird house, and then the real fun began. I kept binoculars and a bird book by the window, and 2 days a week I pulled out my tally sheet to track the birds that visit.
\



I was delighted at first to see the Junco's and the Cardinals. The BlueJays were not too rude, and added color. The Starlings that come en masse in the summer, seemed to disappear. Only 1 or 2 would show. I learned to distinguish between the male and female Downy Woodpecker. The little Nuthatch with it's broad black cap and bright white breast and the Red-Bellied Woodpecker are a treat to see because they are occasional guests. But I wonder who named that breed of woodpecker? It's belly is light colored, but it has a red head! Seeing a new bird just makes me feel good. My most recent find is the House Finch, a very pretty sparrow with rose tinged feathers. But my favorites are still the 4 bluebirds that visit regularly.




One day I saw two hawks high in the trees beyond the birdfeeder. I have little doubt that with all the snow we've had they were hungry. Two days later, I discovered lots of feathers, scattered across the deck and the snow below. I missed the action, but I can only assume that at least one hawk found a meal.


The snow has finally begun to melt. The days are warming and it won't be long before I spy my first Robin. And the House Sparrow? He frequently perches in his little house, looking out, keeping an eye on all that goes on around him. He is so cute that I've almost forgiven him for taking over my bluebird box.

3 comments:

  1. What did Maggie think of the loose feathers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really didn't notice them and she hasn't used the steps for weeks. Today, I found a couple on the grass after the snow melted and she just looked at them. She didn't freak! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I are getting into bird watching at about the same time. Claire got me started a few years ago, but it's been only recently that I can identify birds that come to our feeders: goldfinches, doves (ground feeders) cardinals, tufted titmice, blue jays, chickadees, house finches, pine warblers (often confused with gold finches for me), sparrows (also ground feeders), red breasted nuthatches, blue birds. and random sparrows. Up north add grackles to the mix (and subtract tufted titmice and pine warblers)

    I have not done the Cornell bird count -- seemed confusing to me, and would like to do it with someone who knows a bit more than I do. the rules for counting confuse me, too.

    We have NEVER a bluebird inhabitant in our bluebird box. Last year it was the nuthatches that made their nest there. I have some neat pictures of her sticking her beak out of the box - and sitting on top of it. I cleaned out the nest when we arrived in December.... We'll see what happens this year. I think our neighbors two blue bird boxes are in direct competition, however.

    Hawks? We've had some kills up north. A dove and a chickadee at different times. Didn't see it happen -- just the feathers - just like you. It the sad part of nature....

    ReplyDelete