Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Messin' With Their Minds

They say it's not nice to fool Mother Nature. I've decided it's not nice to fool WITH Mother Nature either, but this week I tried.

Anyone who has read this blog knows I was not happy when the House Sparrows took over my Bluebird box. As spring returned this year, I watched the Bluebirds. Every day they would check out the box and who had moved in. The Sparrow watched as well, and I must say, everyone seemed very courteous. I never saw a bird fight. The Bluebirds weren't run off by the Sparrows. Papa Sparrow spent most mornings watching the yard from inside his box. Even so, Larry and I really wanted the Bluebirds to have their home back.


One day I decided to see if I could help the cause. I opened the box to check the nest. It was empty, so I removed it. I know that sounds mean. It was. And I felt really badly about it. The nest was beautifully made, with feathers from the bird attack we had a few weeks ago, and some grasses with feathery seed pods attached. The more I looked at it, the worse I felt. I hoped if it was gone, the Sparrows would sleep somewhere else for a couple of days and the Bluebirds would be able to move back in. After removing the nest I cleaned out the box well. At least that was a positive move. It really needed it.

Of course, you've probably figured out what happened. When I watched the box the next morning, the Sparrows were in it. Papa Sparrow surveyed the yard as he so often did, from inside the box. The Bluebirds didn't stand a chance.

Now, I really felt badly. These two little birds had spent quite a bit of time building a lovely nest. I had tucked the nest into an alcove high up under the deck the day before. So later in the day, while the Sparrows were out, and with a humble heart, I went and put the nest back in the house.

I can only imagine what Papa Sparrow thought when he returned once again to his house to find the nest back in place!


One thing I do know...Papa Sparrow spends much more time sitting on his perch outside of the box. I'm guessing he wants to make sure his nest doesn't disappear again!


Sorry Papa. I've learned my lesson. I won't fool with Mother Nature any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment