Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Favorite Hydrangea

Where we lived in Florida I don't remember seeing many hydrangeas, but they are a staple in landscaping in the northeast. When we landscaped this place I had a few rules. 1) No hedges, 2) nothing that had to be shaped. I like gardening, but you could call me a lazy gardener. I don't need to fiddle with stuff. I want things that grow naturally.

Before we landscaped I used the first year to take note of things like seasonal change and winter looks. By the time we were ready to plant our shrubbery I knew what I wanted. And as all good planning goes, probably 50 percent of the shrubs I selected were changed after the landscaper said "you won't like it". Humph! Well, he was right. One bush would grow too slowly and take 20 years to give me the look I wanted, while another shrub would overgrow the area and dwarf the first one. So changes were made.

When it came to my hydrangea I knew just which one I wanted. It was a pretty one that would get nice white snowballs in the summer and would flank our front door. Well, I didn't get it. My landscaper showed up on planting day with a different one. "When I went to the nursery this morning the one you wanted didn't look good, but you're going to love this one."


I was a little disappointed, but I listened as he told me why I was going to 'love this one'. It is 4 years later. My landscaping has grown in just as I had imagined it. The perennials and annuals that I've put in are adding their charm and he was right. I love my hydrangea.
In the spring the leaves come in supplying the new green. In early summer it develops delicate cones of tiny white buds which open into still delicate petals.
As the summer months move on the white petals become streaked with little pink lines.

As fall nears, the barely pink flower turns to deep rose.
The snowball hydrangeas are over, but my hydrangea still graces my front door and adds a changing klaidescope of color.

Come winter when all the leaves have fallen off the flower will have dried to a pale tan. They make a lovely bouquet and will grace my foyer all winter long.

It would appear sometimes I don't always know best. Hmmm.

PS. I can no longer remember the name of my hydrangea, but I believe it is a "Panicled hydrangea" because of the cone shaped flower. If anyone can tell me what the actual name is please do! It would be nice to know.

1 comment:

  1. I love hydrangeas! A friend of mine grew them in Georgia - lavender flowers. She'd bring them into work and they'd fill the office with their beautiful aroma.

    ReplyDelete