Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving Traditions


Thanksgiving. No matter how you say it, it is hard to change the meaning or the intent of the day. It is a special time. And in every family it is celebrated a little differently. Some opt for the best china and silver while others go for the buffet, paper plates and plastic ware. For most, it means a day with family even if it is just your spouse and kids.

When I was growing up our Thanksgiving celebration resembled the Saturday Evening Post cover with the family gathered around the table, dressed in their best clothes, dad carving the perfectly roasted turkey while we all watched. I assumed everyone celebrated it the same way. Then my brother-in-law joined the family. He came from a different background and was always amazed at the rituals of our celebrations. Our holidays were peppered with customs and conventions. “TRA-DI-TION!” he would declare playfully!

I like rituals and routines. They are a family’s way of making a special day really special. When we moved away my husband and I had to set up a few of our own routines for holidays. And without a lot of family nearby, we became much more relaxed about most holidays. But we still had our special Tra-di-tions!

 One custom has completely escaped me. Black Friday. I am not a big shopper and I’ve never wanted to head out for the big deal of the day. I did go one time, 30 years ago. A friend and I spent the day fighting crowds in the mall and we had fun! We got a couple of good deals. But I’ve never felt the need to do it again. But for those who love to stand in line and hit the stores at midnight, I say ‘Have at it’! I will be warm and snug in my bed in a tryptophan induced dream state.

This year the competition to open earlier than anyone else has hit a ridiculous level. I wonder if anyone is actually eating turkey anymore, or are they just grabbing a cheeseburger at Wendy’s while they hold their place in line? Is there a new tradition for family assignments? Whereas one person used to set the table, while another mashed the potatoes, perhaps now one holds the place in line while someone else runs to Dunkin’ Donuts for the hot chocolate and cream filled confections.

My only problem with all this is what about the employees of those retailers vying for the ‘first-to-open’ trophy? A paycheck is a wonderful thing, but so is a day with family. Even better is a day OFF work. The ‘consumer’ season is upon us and those employees are going to be working their weary heads off over the next four weeks.

Some employees are finally saying enough is enough. Many even picketed outside the store. Unfortunately, that still meant they had to give up part of their day that should rightfully be off. I recognize the necessity of some professions who take care of us. And I appreciate the sacrifice those people make. But for retailers the day of thanks has become the day of greed. Instead of giving thanks for, and rewarding good employees, they have found new ways to walk all over them and take advantage of their need for a paycheck.

I don’t worry about what the world is coming to. Times change. They always have. My kids don’t do things the way I did. I didn’t do things the way my mom did. She didn’t do things the way her mom did. That’s ok.

As inventions change the way we live, our lifestyles will change. I don’t worry about the world my kids will inherit. They will adapt and think little of it. All I can do is make sure my family knows and remembers the most important elements…the basic foundations that make their life a valuable and memorable experience. But I do hope that at some point businesses remember happy employees are a good thing, and something to be thankful for. Trust me. If the stores don’t open until 12:00am, Friday morning, the people will still come.

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Connie! I hope your Thanksgiving was happy. I agree with you about the shopping; I never have enjoyed shopping. I want to get in and out of the stores as quickly as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a great Thanksgiving, Miss Fancy;)
    I haven't heard from you in a while. Glad to see you are still tuning in. Hope your feast was a good one too.

    ReplyDelete