Sunday, November 25, 2012

Gloating on a Snowy Day

I'm gloating. If you were here you would know it without me telling you. You would read the smug look on my face and ask "Why are you gloating?" Then I would point outside and you would say "So? It's snowing. Why are you gloating?"

Then I would try without success to take the humble approach as I explain that my Christmas lights are up.

You see, I am a procrastinator. I have good intentions but even though I could get something done ahead of time it doesn't happen until I have reached the countdown phase. I remember one year, when I was still working. The kids asked me if we were going to put up the Christmas tree before Christmas. I don't remember sarcasm. There was more a sense of panic in their voices. (I finally got the tree up about a week before The Day.)

Now that I am retired I always put our Christmas lights up outside on the weekend after Thanksgiving. Of course in Pennsylvania the weather can be nasty and cold. Which brings me to why I am gloating.

Two weeks ago the weather was mild and warm. Larry suggested we put the lights up since the weather would be nice. Much to his surprise, I was thinking the same thing. And then came the double suprise. I did it! I put the lights up two weeks early. When the weather was nice...and everyone else was busy cleaning out their garage, or taking a walk on a lovely day.

Today, when I would normally be stuck on the portico roof over the front door winding strands of lights around the railing I am inside. Gloating. It is snowing outside and my lights are done!

3 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!

    Way to go, Connie!!! The procrastinator in me salutes the procrastinator in you!!!

    High Five and Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Claire. I've been watching your decorating. My lights may be up outside, but I haven't started on anything else! Time to get busy:)! Merry Christmas and good luck on your surgery. I'll be watching and praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie: Good for you!! I am not a procrastinator or at least I didn't used to be. But now that I'm retired, I feel that I have all the time in the world and so I definitely put things off. I have not done any decorating yet except that my Christmas cacti are starting to bloom but that has nothing at all to do with me.

    ReplyDelete