Saturday, November 17, 2012

Deal's Orchard

While I was in Iowa, Janice and I took the kids to Deal's Orchard in Jefferson, Iowa. They had been there earlier in the fall when things were at their peak but when the kids had a day off from school we went again. It is a family run farm that mainly grows apples, but also pumpkins, corn and Christmas trees.

A few years ago, we went there and did the corn maze. Their corn maze is awesome. It covers several acres, and has a Question/Answer hunt hidden in it. It is designed with a theme in mind. This year it was about pumpkins. They give you a map with an aerial view of the maze. On the back are questions about pumpkins. The questions are actually designed to get you to explore all the maze to find the answers, not just run through it.

The maze was just about over this year. The corn was thinned, and trampled, but it was fun to go through it anyway.

The answer to "the largest pumpkin grown". Glad I didn't have to pick it!


Peeking through the stalks

Bundled up and having fun!

We made it!


After the maze, we headed for the kids area.

First of all there is a huge jumping pillow--similar concept to a bouncy house, but much bigger, and without walls. It is built right into the ground. The kids had a ball.



Then it was on to the Corn Box. I grew up with a sandbox, but this is really cool. It may not stack and pile as well as sand, but with all the toys in it, who cared? Samantha and Warren didn't. Great fun.

We tried the scooters...I wasn't sure I could stand back up after I got on and bent my knees to my chin, but I managed.


We raced ducks in the water trough using hand pumps to push the water through.

Warren tried out the tricycle track.

But the slide is one of the best. It is a huge tile or corrugated drainage hose built into a hillside. The braver ones would use sleding disks to sit on and go down, but Warren and Samantha just had fun sliding through the hose to the bottom and then climbing back up the hill.


There are goats to pet. Cats to make friends with. Pumpkins to buy. And a final jump on the pillow.
It was a great way to spend a day. Even one as chilly as that day.

Before I close, I have to add in one more photo. I was chastised after my Halloween post because I forgot to include a picture of that John Deere Tractor Costume. So here it is. Warren is already a charter member of the Future Farmers of America. This picture proves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment