Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Art of Language

Today my grandson and I took a walk to the park for a picnic lunch and to play. As we walked along he kept up a steady chatter. It didn't stop at lunch, or after lunch as he played on the playground. It got me thinking, and I made a rather random observation.

Whether learning to talk, or learning a new language, the process is pretty much the same.

My cousin is trying to learn Spanish. In her New Year's Resolution she resolved to practice 1 hour a day. When I was in high school, learning French Ms. Polsky made us speak only in French from the time we walked into class until we left ...even when we had no idea how to say what we wanted to say.


3 and 4 year-olds don't have that problem. Even if they don't know how to say it, they'll say it anyway. A 4-year-old can talk you into the ground. They repeat everything you say. They ask "How?" and "Why?" even when the word doesn't fit. They say I HAVE to do.... instead of I want to do.... which in turn sends parents into the proverbial "Excuse me, WHO is the boss? You don't HAVE to do.....! "

As a parent I was way too weary to try to comprehend why an young child can't just be quiet. But as a grandparent I have the luxury of age, experience, time (and therefore, patience) to think about such things. I think I've got it.

Kids are learning a language. That's it. It's that simple. When you learn a language you need to use it as much as you can. Even if it drives everyone around you to distraction. Practice really does make perfect whether you are 4 or 40.

My cousin may only practice 1 hour a day. Not so with children ...they practice it for 12 hours, or until you manage to snuggle them into bed!

They repeat what you say, rolling the words around, hearing the order, working on comprehending the idioms, grasping the meaning, repeating EVERYTHING in order to embed it in their brain. It is the best way to 'practice your Spanish'... so to speak.

Does that make it any less exhausting to listen to? No. But it does help me better understand why children can't be quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment