Monday, March 19, 2012

2 Old Dogs


Tuesday is Maggie's birthday. She will be 12 years old. I'm posting this today, because my daughter is moving tomorrow, and I will be without an internet connection for a couple of days.

12 is not an easy age for a dog. Over the past year I've seen her slow down some. Walks take longer, hills are harder. We both agree. We aren't as young as we used to be. According to one way of calculating 'dog years', Maggie and I are pretty close in age.

I think animals and people have some similar experiences when it comes to aging. This week I have been helping my daughter get her new home ready to move in. After a few days of stooping, and standing, lifting and carrying, I began each day with Advil. Every part of me hurt. Sitting was painful... and I would have welcomed a crane to hoist me back up. Advil didn't make a dent.

Maggie knows how I feel. When she wants to lay down, I watch as Maggie slowly positions her hind legs and then lowers herself to the ground. When it is time to stand up she angles her hips, and then slowly hoists herself up. She starts her day with Bufferin in a "Greenie Pill Pocket". I'm not sure it helps her much either.

She spends a lot of her day sleeping. I don't sleep as much, but she sure does make it look fun.









There is another side to aging. No matter how old we get, in our heads we are still spring chickens. I see that similarity between us as well. When it is time to hit the sidewalk for a walk we start out with a spring in our step even if our tail is dragging on the way home. (1/2 mile later.)

Tonight we had pizza for dinner. Even though her birthday is 2 days away, we decided to celebrate early. Anyone who knows Maggie knows Pizza is one of her very favorite foods. (See  Elephants and Old Dogs Never Forget, Sept. 10, 2010  http://viewfromanemptynest-connie.blogspot.com/2010/09/elephants-and-old-dogs-never-forget.html )

Pizza arrives!
Something smells good!

Waiting Patiently while we sang Happy Birthday.

After we sang Happy Birthday I cut it into pieces and added it to her dinner in her bowl. She never touched her dinner, but ate the pizza and then stared at the rest of us waiting for our crusts. Such a greedy girl!

Happy Birthday, Maggie!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to beautiful Maggie. I love your analogy about dogs and people and thinking we're younger than we are. Sedona was the same way.. all full of energy and dragging as much as me on the way home! :)

    ReplyDelete