Friday, November 19, 2010

A Warm Bed

Back in the 1980's my husband and I bought a water bed. We had it for many years and one of my very favorite things about it was that it was warm when I climbed in at night. Since the mattress is filled with water, it must remain heated. Otherwise it is about as comfortable as a thin sleeping bag on very cold ground. Just like an electric blanket there was a gauge so you could keep the mattress warmer in winter and cooler in the summer. Every night I would slide between the sheets and feel this warmth enveloping me. In winter it was especially wonderful.

We lived in Central Florida for many years. In winter the homeless population grew as people migrated to a warmer location for the winter months. It was distressing to see men huddled around 'burning barrel's under bridges in the winter. While we rarely had below freezing temperatures, it could get quite cold at night. On those few nights when the temperatures dipped below freezing shelters would open up to give the homeless a place to get in out of the elements.

On those nights I would slip between the sheets on my water bed. I would feel the cozy quilt on top, but underneath me the warmth of that bed would welcome me. And every night I would say a prayer of thanks to God that I had the security of a home, and a warm bed to sleep in. I would say a prayer for those who were cold that night that they would find a place to keep warm.

I still say that prayer every night. A warm bed is one thing I just don't take for granted. I am so grateful everytime I pull the covers around my head and snuggle into my pillow. If someone asked me what I was thankful for and I answered, "A warm bed", they might think I was being silly, but I know why I am so grateful for it. There are too many people these days who have no such thing.

1 comment:

  1. Connie, I can relate to this post. Everytime I turn on the tap and can get hot water to wash my hands, I am grateful. This is especially true when I am somewhere other then home. Having just been in Cuba, I am very thankful for soap.

    ReplyDelete