Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween

Last night was Halloween and it is a fun night around here. Many of the neighborhoods have adopted a terrific custom of sitting outside during trick or treat. The first year we lived here it took us by surprise and we thought perhaps it was a Pittsburgh thing, but I've found many people who still stay in their houses and let the kids come to them.

In our neighborhood starting around 5:30 people start setting out their chairs and readying the pumpkins. Then just at 6:00 everyone appears. If the garage is facing the street, people will turn on their garage light and sit there, but the rest of us gather near the sidewalks with our bowls of candy and a beverage or two. If it's cold, like last night, we just bundle up for awhile. (The Florida folks may be a bit more  bundled than others!) If it's warm some neighbors may have a cooler by the candy bowl and pass out some cold beverages to the adults! Now, that's a neighbor! By half way around the block the dad's are usually ready for a refill!

Last night was cool, but clear. The sunset was gorgeous. The hill behind our house was picking up the colors with increased intensity. A small group of us gathered and just watched it change as the sun set. The sun's rays lit up the tree trunks, the fallen leaves on the hillside and the leaves still on the trees turning everything a flaming burnt orange. As the sun went down the orange turned to a rich burgundy. It was amazing. I wished I had a camera in hand but there wasn't time to grab one, and I doubt I could have caught the feeling so we just watched and enjoyed it.

Then we settled in as the first of the munchkins appeared. Maggie enjoys Halloween as well. Most of the kids like seeing her, but occasionally I back her away from the treat table while Larry hands out the candy to the more timid ones. A few people have parties after trick or treat and a couple of the visiting adults come by to make 'my annual visit to see Maggie'. She is famous in her own right.

Most of all what I love about Halloween here is the sense of community. A patrol car usually makes the rounds, lights flashing. Parents walk with the young kids but even the older ones are so safe. They are never out of sight of a neighbor as they go from house to house. Sitting outside for trick or treat has become one of my favorite new tradtions.

2 comments:

  1. What a great custom -- such bonding for a neighborhood!

    Halloween is sort of a non holiday around here -- at least in our neighborhood. I never am without treats, as once in a while (every few years) we've been known to get one or maybe two trick or treaters. But, most times -- nada. I miss it -- and remember the days when I was a kid when Ardross Avenue, and Cedar Road were covered with kids in costumes. I also remember going out myself without parents. Times were different, though.... Making it almost like a block party is really a great custom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going out without parents. I always remember your '50 megaton bomb'! My favorite... I couldn't believe you were so inventive and aware. I had no idea what it was all about until then.:)

    ReplyDelete