Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Dreary Day--I am Thankful for Music

Oh the weather outside is frightful! Sorry, that's a line in a song isn't it! Well, it was true one day this week. Outside it was cold and dreary, wet, foggy, gray... But inside it was lovely. My house was warm and dry. The lamplight brightened the room. Music on the CD player brightened my spirit.

Listening to music always brightens my day. I have the choice of rock and roll to get me moving, classical to soothe me, Christmas music to cheer me. Music has always been my 'mood altering drug of choice'. This week, it was Christmas music; everything from John Denver to Josh Groban, Mannheim Steamrollers to Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

It may seem a little early to turn on the Christmas music, but I am in a church choir. Anyone who sings in a choir knows that Christmas music starts in September, when practice for the Christmas Cantata begins. It reminds me of the retailers. We complain about how early everything starts, but the truth is, if we want to be ready for the season, we have to begin our preparations way before the season.
As the leaves are turning, I am learning a new arrangement of Noel, or Ring those Christmas Bells. By the time the leaves have covered the ground and the trees stand tall and bare, that arrangement is on automatic replay in my mind.

So on a dreary day I have my favorite cup of tea on the cup warmer beside me. Andrea Bocelli is on the CD player. Maggie sleeps at my feet. I have much to be thankful for and Music is one of those special gifts in my life. I can't imagine a life without it. This would lead you to say "Then you must be thankful for your hearing." I am. But that is another post. Today I am thankful for music.

No comments:

Post a Comment