Monday, August 2, 2010

Where did July go??

I was surprised to see I haven't blogged in the last 3 weeks. I knew I was busy, but I didn't realize it had been that long. What have I been doing? Maybe the title of this post should be "What I did on my Summer Vacation!"

We had a lot going on during the first part of summer. We went to Alaska and Chicago in June and then I headed to Florida to see my daughter and her family. In between trips was the usual unpacking, laundry, cleaning the house and getting ready for the next trip. But we also completed one project we've wanted to do since we moved in here. Our new home came equipped with temporary concrete slab front steps and this was the summer we got them replaced with real steps. We also had a patio poured under our deck. That job was done between the Alaska and Chicago trips and as soon as I got back from Chicago, I repacked and left for Florida in the beginning of July.

I blogged about our day in Tampa at the Lowry Park Zoo, but I never told you about the idiotic, hot, but wonderful day Jen and I spent in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! This new addition to Universal's Isles of Adventure was one we had waited for since we heard it was coming. We are both ardent Harry Potter fans. I'm proud to say I read the first book long before it was a big thing. It came to me fresh from the printer through the Junior Library Guild subscription I had in my school library. I was hooked from page one and clearly remember reading the last page, setting it in my lap with a satisfied sigh, and thinking "Wow. That's the first really good kid's book to come across my desk in a long time." But I digress.

As a longtime Florida resident, we knew better than to venture into that park 1) in the middle of summer (HOT?????) 2) when the attraction is knew 3) and everyone is on vacation. But we did. I won't detail the lines except to say there was a wait for everything except the restrooms! Even the shops had waiting lines. I am always impressed at how well theme parks manage crowds. The extent they went to control how many people were in 'Hogswart' at any time seemed ludicrous at times, but was very efficient and we enjoyed our day. The rides were fun. We rode through the castle twice...and for those who assume it's a nice easygoing ride...wrong! The car you are riding in is secure but it's a bit like riding Harry's broom! There are plenty of ways to grow and add features, but for the initial introduction, it is well done.

I was no sooner back from Florida than Larry and I were packing up for a long weekend to Murphy, North Carolina. With Larry's retirement looming, we are starting to look at where we might like to relocate. We probably consider a new scenario every few months, but one thing we both really enjoy is the mountains. Murphy is deep in the mountains with great fishing nearby, which Larry has always loved. We spent a couple of days checking out the area and getting a feel for it.

Now I am home, and I really hope I stay here for awhile! Last week I finally got the area along our new steps cleaned up. I moved a daylily that was being swallowed up by another bush, divided it up and spaced the plants along the steps. I hope they survive. I wasn't sure I would. It seemed so much harder than working in my yard in Florida.

There is still much to do in the yard. Hopefully I will be here through August and can get it all done. At any rate, I'm home until Jan calls. My next great adventure will be to welcome my next grandchild.

And that's the summertime view from here!

1 comment:

  1. BTW -- what did you think of Murphy, NC? Claire and I were looking it up on the internet and it looks like a really nice town - with maybe cooler summers because it's nearer the mountains. Price of real estate seems reasonable too (although living in both eastern Long Island and Hilton Head -- everything seems more reasonable than they do)

    ReplyDelete