Sunday, August 8, 2010

Is It Really (JUST) August?

Tonight the world seems a little cock-eyed. The calendar is confusing. As I sit here typing, my husband is watching the first football game of the season. Football? Really? I like football actually, but it seems to me we don't need a lot of games before September. As if that isn't enough, I realize my daughter who is a teacher, goes back to work tomorrow...August 9! Come this Friday, the kids in her school district will be heading back to school.

It is at times like this I am REALLY glad I am retired. I was a teacher too, and although I lived in Florida for almost 30 years, I never got used to school starting in August. In my day, we always went back to school the first Thursday after Labor Day. August was the best month of the summer. We got out of school in the middle of June. Then after attending camp at Pennington Island (our church camp), for a week, I headed to Connecticut and Maine for the month of August. Those were heavenly days, made even better because I spent them with my best friend. We were so lucky. Usually Wendy and I headed to Maine for two weeks with her family. Then our families would meet, or my parents would come to Maine, and the two of us would head to Connecticut for 2 weeks with my family.

For several years I was able to take my own family to Connecticut in August. My sisters and I would often overlap our families for a few days. The trip from Florida to Connecticut included visits with friends and family as I traveled north. It was always my favorite part of summer. Even after I started teaching, we were able to make the trip and we would leave just in time to get back for school. It was a 3 day drive for us. The first day was a melancholy drive south as we knew summer was over. We'd stop at Nanny's or Aunt Sue's for the night. Day 2 was the transition day for me. By Day 3 as I drove through the Carolina's I would start planning the programs I wanted to promote at school. By the time I arrived home, the transition was complete and I was ready to go back to work.

Unfortunately, school districts started pushing the beginning of the school year earlier and earlier. Going north in August wasn't possible. I had to readjust my outlook about summertime.

Going back to work wasn't actually as bad as thinking about it. The first day back was fun for me as a teacher, just as it was as a student. Seeing everyone, getting the news, beginning the routine... work and school are an important part of our lives. The routine keeps us moving forward.

But August 9? It is days like this that make me glad I have retired. I loved my job, but tomorrow when I wake up, it will still be summer for me. And now that I'm back in the northeast, I'm happy to see that the kids in this neighborhood will still be enjoying summer for another few weeks.

As for Jen and the kids in Florida....Have a good year. I hope the hurricanes steer clear and the year goes well.

As for Football.... The Hall of Fame game is just the beginning. Pretty soon it will be exhibition games and then the season will be on for real. I'm going to enjoy the last days of summer to the full. The writing is on the wall. Fall is just around the corner!

7 comments:

  1. Ah Rosenberry, you and I are BOTH so glad we are retired. I don't even know when school starts here and am happy not to know. My grandchildren started school last Thursday. I couldn't believe it. I'd rather be home. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, school is back in. I have enjoyed catching up with everyone this week. But as you may notice from my late post, it was an extremely busy week. I met my classes yesterday, and while they promise to give me an "interesting" year, I've heard lots of good things about my students. I'm excited to get started, but part of me is not ready for vacation to end. I'm going to try to keep my mind on vacation for the weekend. Hopefully by Monday morning, I'll feel truly ready for the start. :) Enjoy your retirement! (and sleeping in...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, sleeping in until 7am is much nicer than crawling out of bed at 5 or 5:30!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I knew what the reasoning for starting school so early is -- and ending it so early in May? I honestly believe the way we did it when we were children (ending in mid June -- starting the Thursday after Labor Day) really did work -- at least as far as the temperatures and vacation schedules. The heat of summer (at least in the north) does not begin until July, as June is not quite "summer" -- at least like July and August are. I remember coming home from Connecticut the day after Labor Day just in time for school - and that worked well.

    As it is, all of NY state still keeps by the schedule we were used to in our youth. High school graduation is traditionally the last Sunday in June, and school begins the Wednesday after Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't speak for elsewhere, but the logic in Florida is this: The school year is divided into 4 quarters, each 45 days (or 9 weeks) long. We start in August so that the high school students that have to take mid-term exams (after 18 weeks of school) can take them before the winter break. When we start later, the students go on a two week break for winter vacation, then come back to a week of cramming, and take the exams their second week back. While this is meant to help them do better on the exams, I feel it is not promoting true retention of the material they are studying. For true retention, you need to show you remember it long after you learned it.
    I'm used to the schedule after doing it for so many years. I can see where June doesn't really seem like summer up north. But down here, summer is in full swing by May. :) I will say though, August is still reserved for being one of the hottest months of the year here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And then there is testing...which I think is the real culprit. FCAT is scheduled by the state so early that the districts try to get as much teaching in before them and therefore move up the start date. Of course, getting the test results back before school gets out becomes the next challenge. It is a real issue in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very true!

    ReplyDelete