Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Real Babbling Brook

There is a beautiful park north of Pittsburgh, called McConnell's Mill. It has become one of my favorite places to visit. I've walked part of the trail that follows the stream a couple of times. The park has an old mill that always seems to be closed, so I've never toured it. There is a working covered bridge over the stream. Cars and people can cross over. People can walk the trail on either side. Cars can keep going to the next town.

The whole area is very rocky area and there are many rapids on the stream, but if you follow the trail you will come upon an occasional quiet area with a sandy beach. I've been wanting to take Maggie out there this summer and this week I finally did. It's a nice change of scenery from walking around the neighborhood.

A one way road leads down into the bottom of the ravine to the mill, but there are only 4 parking spaces and they always seem to be full. Above the ravine is a nice picnic area, field, playground and large parking area. A trail and 95 steps take you down to the mill and the trail by the stream. The first part of the lower trail is fairly nice, and somewhat paved, but after about 1/4 mile in it becomes just a trail through the trees and over roots and rocks. Although it's not a hard walk you can't walk it and look around at the same time because it is not a clear path and walkers are constantly navigating tree roots, and rocks. The picture on the left shows a place where a small waterfall crosses the path. The picture on the right shows how the natural rock layers under the surface form a natural, if not real smooth, staircase. It was easier to navigate than it looks.

There are sandy beaches in a few places, but they were all inhabited by families or couples so I couldn't let Maggie swim there. Of course, due to the rocks and the fast water there are signs posted all around for no swimming. I didn't see anybody swimming but kids had fun climbing on the rocks and collecting whatever bits of nature caught their eye.

About a mile in, I finally came across a sandy beach and we walked down to check it out. The shelf dropped off sharply just a few steps in. I kept Maggie on the leash while she swam so I could guide her back to a place where she could climb out. Once she figured it out she jumped in a few times to cool off. I let her off the leash and she charged up and down the beach, but never tried to swim on her own.

Of course the downside of the day was something that seems typical around here. After taking a long walk, navigating rough terrain, I had to climb 95 steps back up to the top where my car was parked. It didn't seem to be a very hot afternoon, but as usual I was covered in sweat by the time we got back to the car. Next time I go I think I'll take someone along who can put me on a leash and let me swim!

4 comments:

  1. McConnell's Mill is such a beautiful place! It reminds me of Connecticut. :) I do miss those days. The woods (and the mountains) were always such a break from reality. Unfortunately, we have to drive at least a day to get to any mountainous area that would give me respite. It is such a wonderful feeling. I'm jealous I don't live closer to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the pictures and the descriptions sort of remind me of Valley Green in Philadelphia. The covered bridge -- the paths that are sometimes paved, sometimes rocky, and the stream all gave me the idea of that park. It looked like a wonderful day -- and a great place to cool off. However, after climbing up those 95 steps, I'm sure that all the coolness you felt near that water was then negated. But -- that exercise probably felt wonderful. I love that picture of Maggie swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both talk of favorite places of mine. I think of it as an upside down Kent Falls. The picnic area here is at the top and you climb down to the water, and then back up. Julie G agrees with you. PA has great hiking places, FL doesn't have too many.
    Wendy--I hadn't thought of Valley Green, but there are similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kent Falls - - remember singing songs together - in harmony - by the waterfalls while we had picnics there? :)

    ReplyDelete