Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Paradox of August

August continues in typical fashion. We have had gorgeous days of sun, blue sky and warm temperatures. Petunias are nearing their end, but the chyrsanthemums are getting ready to pop. August is a month in which blistering days can give way to cool evenings. We can experience the dog days of summer one week and suddenly get a real taste of fall just a few days later. At this stage of the summer, I am tickled to see my hanging plants are looking strong and healthy. This is rare for me. By now, I've ususally killed them.
Today as I walked I found signs that fall is just around the corner. As Maggie and I walked the trail above our house, I found these beautiful leaves.

My garden is also displaying some signs. My hydrangea, which blooms white in the spring, slowly turns to a deep rose in the fall. It is a normally a beautiful bush and right now it is gorgeous.
There are 2 more weeks of August. One of the biggest surprises for me are the new families of birds under my deck. We have a nest of robins with 3 babies that hatched last week, and another nest of sparrows that hatched as well. I would have thought it was late to start a family! Did you know that baby robins are almost silent, while baby sparrows never shut up unless they are asleep? It's true. Trust me.
August is my favorite summer month. I will enjoy it to the last; rain, sun, cool or warm. Just knowing my hot days are numbered inspires me to enjoy every one there is.

5 comments:

  1. I have to say that this summer was the most brutally hot that I can remember, and I am so ready for it to end. I think we are going to put in central a/c in this house after these months. With that in mind, I'm relieved that we are now in the second half of August, and that fall is "close". September should be more temperate, and it's only weeks away. And -- really -- the temps aren't as hot as they were in July.

    When I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway -- I saw inklings of color change on the trees, and have one picture, in particular of a pretty orange leaf. It was nice -- and the temps there were wonderful. I'd so love to live there....!

    Another family of robins and sparrows??!! I know that birds have several broods down south, but didn't realize that they did where you (and I) are. I guess there is time, when you think about it. They have until the end of October, I'd think to become mature enough to "fly south". I'm always amazed at how fast birds grow from babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been brutally hot, I know. If it weren't for our AC I'd feel the same as you. In Florida, even when the AC went out (twice, once for 5 days after a hurricane) we had the pool to jump into, and we had shade. My sister is on their boat on the Tennessee River and they only have AC when hooked up in a marina. It's been a tough summer for them, too.
    As long as I can sleep at night, I'll make it through the day. And after my whining last winter, I don't dare complain this summer! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! By the way, the sparrows are here year round and the robins don't seem to be around, but I don't think they go far. My cousin has them year round in Phillly. I'm still surprised at the late breeding. Maybe it has something to do with the heat??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Connie, how wonderful to be able to anticipate the possibility of a cool evening in August. I envy you because we have had day after day and night after night of blistering heat. No turning leaves yet for us but we are taking a trip to North Carolina in about three weeks so may have some cooler weather greet us there high up in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh,Enjoy the Carolinas! Are you still thinking of coming this way in the fall?

    ReplyDelete