Friday, May 14, 2010

And then there was one...

Watching the bird's nest on my front door has been a real journey for me. I've discovered that even though I'm not the mother, I still can't distance myself from the needs of the babies. I've also discovered that most people have no idea what living in cramped quarters is really like. How often have you worried you would be pushed out your front door because you couldn't squeeze into your home? There are 5 birds in this picture. Can you count them?
The first time I checked the nest I saw one egg and one tiny hatchling. I thought that's all there would be until one day as I viewed the nest from the safe distance of the sidewalk I saw the rounded tops of 3 little heads. 3 babies!! A week later a neighbor wanted to see, so very carefully I put the step ladder by the door and checked them, only to see 4 little bodies crammed into a nest that a few weeks ago seemed quite roomy. When my neighbor looked she counted again. 5! I looked again. Sure enough, there were 4 little bodies on top, but there was an extra little eye peering up at me from the bottom of the nest, under the other 4 birds.

Mama and Papa were patient with me. I could hear them whenever I was anywhere near. Their cheerful warble in the morning would change to a warning "cheep, cheep, cheep" either telling me to leave them alone, or to tell them to keep their heads down and stay still. Baby birds are very obedient. One minute I'd see three little heads but after I heard the "Cheep, cheep, cheep" those little heads would disappear.
As the weeks went on I realized the wreath was shifting and the nest was tilting. The weather was bad, with cold nights and high winds and I worried that the wreath would fall. Placing a tea towel over the nest to keep the birds calm, I shifted the wreath and tried to stablize it. But after one very windy night the nest had moved preciptiously and I could see one bird flapping it's wings trying to stay in. As I went closer, I found 2 birds huddled together on my front stoop under the wreath, and 3 more still tucked inside the nest. The one on top was the one trying to stay in. Larry gave me his hanky which I placed over the 2 birds on the stoop, knowing if they can't see they won't struggle. Once again, I readjusted the wreath taking care this time to tuck the end of the wreath hanger into the woven part of the wreath. Then it was time to move the 2 birds back into the nest. The first bird went in willingly, but the second one flapped its wings the second I removed the hanky...and off he flew... sort of! He made a beautiful glide down into the grass and then, flapping his wings, made another short hop further away. This was encouragement enough for the other bird who decided it was time to make his get-away. His flight was clumsier with much flapping but little gliding. As soon as he hit the grass he burrowed in to hide.
At this point most people would be happy. The nest was secure. 2 birds had grown up and left the nest, but the silence around me, and the hawks in the area, bothered me. Where was the familiar warning call? Cheep, cheep, cheep? I didn't hear the parents. How would they find their young? Would a hawk see them first? Once again, with the hanky I quietly approached the youngest bird in the grass. He didn't move as I picked him up and carefully tucked him under a bush near the nest. Then I went after the bird that flew pretty well. Suddenly I heard the "Cheep, cheep cheep" that told me the parents were near. As I reached for the baby bird, he flapped his wings and flew a short distance away. "Good!" I thought." Now they know where you are. I'll let them take over."


Today, as I watch the nest we seem to be down to 1 little bird left. He doesn't hide from me but watches as I walk around the front yard trying to get a good look. It won't be long before he tries his wings. Once again there will be an empty nest.

When my kids flew the coop, I cleaned closets. This time I'll be cleaning a front door and stoop. Kids and birds have one thing in common. They are fun to have around but they both leave a lot of crap.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely awesome, Connie - - - I can't thank you enough for posting this and Wendy for sharing the link with me . . .

    Birds are amazing and resilient and determined to find independence . . . and yet, they are needy, and we try to help without harming and one day they're gone, but I have a feeling that, like children, they're not all THAT far away . . .

    Anyway, I really needed this and I loved reading it so thank you again and again!

    Gotta go thank Wendy for knowing I needed to see this and for caring about me . . . sometimes very close and sometimes from a distance, but still caring.

    I KNOW you're a wonderful person - - - I've heard that from Wendy and now I've seen it for myself in your words and pictures :)

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the most amazing blog entries I've read in a long time. It was actually riveting - almost suspenseful - wondering what would happen!

    Just so you're aware, I posted a link to this on my friend, Claire's Facebook page as I wanted her to see this. I see that she has already commented. Also -- one other person saw this (I also know her) and came over to read it, too!

    I loved the analogy of "the empty nest" -- like your blog title! Yes -- we do clean up messes after they leave -- and -- sometimes continue to clean a few more -- even as they are safely flying free. Yeah -- it's those hawks we worry about.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claire! I've heard so much about you. I'm glad you enjoyed this entry. Check back here anytime. Sometimes it's birds, sometimes its dogs... mostly it's just my ramblings, but I'd love to have another passenger on the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy--their messes keep us busy, but it's those hawks that scare us the most, isn't it!
    A mother's job never ends, but it's one of the best there is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Connie!

    Thanks so much for your invitation to come back . . . I certainly will!! Wendy has told me so much about you that I feel like I know you personally . . .

    I guess one of the ways we get to know people is to learn something about their "hearts" and what makes them tick . . . your post does that for me, and, again . I totally loved reading it and rereading it just now!!

    ReplyDelete