Monday, May 3, 2010

Amazing Birds

The wreath on our front door is home to a new family of House Finches. I was very worried on Monday when Larry discovered a broken egg on the rug inside the front door! That was when I discovered the first egg had hatched. It was also when we stopped using the front door. While mama was away, I carefully opened the door and checked the nest. A tiny bundle of gray fluff with a yellow beak lay inside next to a second egg.

Tuesday night the temperature outside dipped into the low 30's. I worried about this little bird. Would he be alright? How could he keep warm enough? Mama and Papa huddled together and did their job well. On Thursday I had to mow the grass, so Mama took off again. While she was away I checked the nest again. This time I saw 2 yellow beaks among the fluff.

Mama doesn't like it when people walk by the front of the house. But the nest is secure and safe from the elements. I'm still amazed that such tiny creatures can survive cold nights, but spring weather can be tricky and as always, Mother Nature usually takes care of her own.

Yesterday, Larry found two web sites that have live camera feeds from inside bird nests. One is a bluebird nest that currently has 5 eggs in it. The other is inside an eagle's nest with one baby and one unhatched egg. These sites are amazing. Today I watched as the eagle brought back a fish, ate it and then fed her chick. Try these links for a first hand look at some amazing birds.

www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objid=643557&mode=2 Blue bird nest--I tried to access this link directly, but it doesn't want to go through from the blog site. The best I could do was to write the link down and type it into the URL box. Once saved in my Favorites I can go directly to it.

www.hornbyeagles.com/webcam This site is awesome. I could watch it for hours!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check those out with the little guy. Amazing where cameras can go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My new nighttime hobby is to sit with my laptop on my lap, watch/listen to the tv while I play free cell or spider on one side of the screen with the eagle's nest on the other side of the screen. Talk about multi-tasking!!

    ReplyDelete