Saturday, May 21, 2016

The Grandest of All


We finished up our tour of the southwest best known National Parks with a visit to the Grand Canyon.

My first visit to this park was 20 years ago. I will never forget my first glimpse of this amazing place. As we drove up to the park we traveled through Ponderosa Pine forests, and flat desert scrub. There was nothing that prepared me for what was on the other side of those trees. I had seen lots of photos, but in my mind they were aerial shots. We parked in the parking lot and walked up the sidewalk, through the bushes, and suddenly there it was.

It was just there.

I was speechless. If you know me, you know that is rare. But I was.

This is my third visit to this wonderland and I still am. Speechless. We have been through canyon, after canyon and nothing compares to the vastness and magnificence of the Grand Canyon.

It is my happy place.

It is my Magic Kingdom.

I hate heights, but here I can sit on the wall and just gaze out... and down... and around... and never want to leave.

The photos that follow are taken with an iPhone 6, or a Canon Powershot Elph, (a simple pocket POS camera). They are not touched up unless I used Windows Photo Gallery to straighten or crop. Enjoy the view.

The road in.


First Glimpse



Wildlife is relaxed. They obviously know they are safe here.

This elk was near the parking lot, while the two below were in the Market area parking lot.

He was checking out the bank. I watched as he walked up and looked through the windows.

She was enjoying a photo op as people stopped to take her picture.

Larry had to take a short business trip while we were in Flagstaff. I had a day to myself, so I drove up to the Canyon for the afternoon. (Wow. Just to be able to say that sounds cool. What a luxury!)

I walked the trail from Yaki Point to the South Kaibab trailhead. It was a short mile on a clear dirt path. However, at the beginning of the trail I had to make a slight detour through the bushes for this lady having lunch.
You get to see some more of the canyon's quiet moments, when you go off on your own.



I love this tree. We have seen this shaggy bark and gnarled wood all over the high desert. These branches twisiting  up and out is the way of life here. Pretty, old and tough.

The path followed the rim and in places was quite close.


One thing that surprised me was the difference between the attitude of walking in the Grand Canyon and some other parks we visited. Most advise you not to leave the trail so that you don't damage the terrain. There were few walls or barricades in the Grand Canyon. People are advised to stay 6 feet back, but sitting on rock overhangs is common.






Bright Angel trail into the canyon is well maintained. You can hike 1 1/2 miles, 3 miles, or further with a rest house part way down. The descent may be easy, but coming back up is a whole different story. It's a full day trip, and in the summer, they advise you try to do it in two days. I had a friend once who made the trip, but she said she could tell people were stopping and waiting for her to make sure she made it back up!
Bright Angel Trail into the Canyon

From several points at the top you can see the trail below. It is the little white line on the green plateau.




There are a few access points to the Grand Canyon. The North Rim (which didn't open until May 15 and we were there in early May) is accessible from Kanab, Utah. The South Rim has an Eastern entrance in the Painted Desert, and a Southern Entrance (both accessible from Flagstaff). You can take the shuttle bus, which is most convenient and stops all along the rim. You can drive the rim road, but parking is very limited. You can walk much of the rim path. It is almost 13 miles, but can be done in short segments, and then you can pick up the shuttle bus at any of their stops. On our first visit we did the middle section where the shops and lodges are, and the eastern section which exits through the Painted Desert.
Desert View Watch Tower at the Eastern most viewing point.

This tower was built with modern techniques, but carefully researched to incorporate Native American styles. There are 3 floors with windows for better viewing.


 From the Desert Tower you can look east into the Painted Desert


Driving out the east entrance, through the Painted Desert, you can see the Colorado River gorge before it enters the canyon.


I thought it was very fitting that our first National Park and our last National Park both went through the Painted Desert. We had gone full circle!

The middle section of the Grand Canyon National Park, or the Village, has the Verkamps Visitor Center/museum, The El Tovar Hotel and Bright Angel Lodge as well as the Bright Angel Trailhead, and the Hopi House gift shop, which is excellent.
Hopi House Gift Shop
On our last day there, we went to the western point of the rim road,
From this end we had the best views of the Colorado River. Considering it was the river that began all this, its nice to be able to see it once in a while!

Look for the river! It's a tiny ribbon in the top of the picture.


From the western rim I could look back east. I love the little temple with the topknot. It looks like a cupcake with the cherry on top in the center of the picture. And the ridges in the distance seem to have a scalloped edge. The rock in the front is white, while the view is overall red. But in the valley it is a gray-green.

It was time to say goodbye to my Canyon. I had three remarkable days here, but it was time to move on from this wonderland and head north, to different sights.

2 comments:

  1. We renewed our wedding vows on the rim of the Grand Canyon when we were married 10 years. It is one of our favorite places in the country. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special thing to do at this fantastic place. Clearly it worked. ;-)

    ReplyDelete