Monday, October 27, 2014

Day 4--Hit the Ball and Drag George

Frog and Toad getting ready to leave home. (But the brake lights are on and they shouldn't be!)

My father loved to play golf and he always had some good golf jokes to tell.  Good golf jokes allude to the Never Say Die spirit of the guy playing golf. Golfers will play through almost any situation.
This is one of my favorite of his golf jokes.

A man went out to play golf with his buddy, George. He was gone all day and got home rather late. His wife asked him how the day had gone.
“Oh, it was terrible.” The man said. The morning was gorgeous. The sky was blue. The temperature was perfect. The first 3 holes went fine. But just as we were about to tee up to the 4th hole, George grabbed his chest and keeled over!”
“Oh no,” cried the man’s wife. 
“I know,” said the man. “The whole rest of the day was ‘hit the ball and drag George’.

OK. I know. You are out there screaming OMG, That’s AWFUL!!!  and yelling at me and telling me that was the worst  joke you've ever heard. But you're laughing too, so don’t blame me completely.

As poor taste as that joke is, I can never get away from that punch line. Often it is a metaphor for life. When things go wrong you just have to keep on plugging. (Hopefully, with a little more sensitivity.)

It’s been kind of a metaphor for this trip too. We got the Honda to Iowa, but most days it was just “hit the ball and drag George.”  First trip will be to the hardware store where we can buy a fuse puller. It was the one thing the most prepared man I know didn’t have.


We are here. We are happy! And the Toad’s new name will probably be George.
Frog and Toad in Iowa! We made it.

PS: The road was clear as we drove down it. 
That's how I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment