Sunday, October 26, 2014

Day 3 in the RV--Hey, it Rhymes!


Day 3 went really well! No new problems cropped up, big or little. (The Toad still has its own issues.) We had a shorter distance to go so we hung out a bit in the morning and I got in a long walk.

Before we bought this bus, we looked at a lot of RVs. We had a list of our ‘must have’ options when we finally started looking for our bus. So far…

I am very glad I chose kitchen pantry shelves instead of a 2nd bathroom.

I am really glad I held out for pantry shelves that slide out. They are so much handier! I want more! I just found a roll of paper towels that I've been looking for since we left. They were hiding at the back of one of the other deep shelves that don’t pull out. Next time I’ll store them in the liquor cabinet. I would have found them right away!

I’m glad I pushed for a vinyl floor and no carpet. Floor is swept and mopped in 10 minutes. That’s my kind of housecleaning.

I’m glad I gave up several extras that were in some of the RV’s we looked at.
  • No washing machine and dryer. Laundromats will work fine.
  • No gas oven. Have you looked inside one? The heating element takes up half of the space. It looks like it would hold a cookie sheet from a toaster oven, or maybe a pie pan. Instead of where the oven would go, I have drawers. But I didn't give up an oven completely. Our RV comes with a combination Microwave/convection oven.  That’s a space saver that suits our needs.

I am glad we opted for a queen size bed instead of king. It gives us plenty of room to sleep and it leaves a little more room to walk around the bed.

The Laptop table in front of the passenger seat works pretty well. As long as the roads are fairly smooth, I can write while we drive. There is even an electrical outlet next to the passenger seat, so the laptop can be plugged in while driving. Very cool!

Lessons learned:
No audio books, especially when the wind is blowing!  Typing on bumpy roads is counter-productive. Spaces appear where they aren't supposed to, or words are unexpectedly deleted. This is not a Cadillac. Bumps, bounces and road noise are definitely more noticeable.

Size: Larry is glad he didn’t buy a bigger RV! While we probably would not have been as happy with a smaller one, this one is 35’. Add to that about 4 feet for a towing rig, and the length of the Toad, that is a lot of length to figure when you are pulling into a gas station. We are happy with our 35’ size.


Oh, there is one more thing to remember. Toads don’t back up. Period. At least not with the rig we have. SO, don’t go where you don’t fit. If you get stuck, there is only one option. Unhook the Toad.
And that brings us to tomorrow.

Tomorrow we get to Janice’s. Janice lives on a 2 lane gravel road. On each side of the road are deep ditches. There is quite a bit of traffic that goes by her house. Usually it’s just cars and pick-ups. But at this time of year it is also huge Combines that take up every inch of that gravel road. And tractor trailers hauling corn. And very big tractors pulling very big carts. I have just one fear and it is that we will meet a Combine as we travel the mile from the hard-top to the house.  Because, as I've mentioned, 1) Combines take up the road, and 2) RV’s pulling Toads don’t back up.

Tune in!

4 comments:

  1. I am just loving reading your daily logs on your first trip in your RV. I think I've told you that I've always wanted to do this, but know it's probably not going to happen. Ray really doesn't like to drive, not to mention he and I don't REALLY work well together during stressful times. Nervousness about "not knowing" or being "unsure" about all the intricacies of an RV would lead to raised voices, and that isn't good. Suffice it to say, I'll live vicariously through you and Larry!

    One question. I see you both have your laptops. Plus -- you are posting along the way. How are you dealing with getting internet connection while traveling? Do you get connection in RV parks, or are you using your cell phone as a router?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently, Larry's work provides him with a hotspot that I can use while we are on the road. And I can have it plugged in while we drive and use it! So far though, I have written off line on Word and then paste it into blogger after I have it ready to go.

    Larry and I have planned on doing this for YEARS! I decided 25 years ago that this is probably what he would want to do after he retired, because both of us prefer travel by car to any other way. And we both like to drive. About 8 years ago I mentioned it to him and he started thinking about it. We've been talking, researching, and planning it since then. He has been exceptionally patient with me, but I think part of that is due to the fact that he is learning almost as much as I am, and the other part is that I am really showing interest in Learning it, not just doing it.
    Please join us vicariously. It is so much less stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying your blog entries, as we hope to be living this life in less than 4 years (which will FLY by). Still having the discussions regarding sell the house/rent the house, drive to and from AK/take the ferry/leave the RV in the Lower 48 and fly, and whatever other options there are. We'll only be half-timers initially... or maybe a little more or less. Excited, but we also know there's much to learn and consider before packing things up and DOING it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Susan. It is truly a process, and one that initially I didn't appreciate. We looked at different types and quickly tuned in on the Class A model. There are several blogs and groups that share info out there. Have fun on your journey!

    ReplyDelete