Thursday, January 2, 2014

Resolution 2014--In All Things Give Thanks

Resolutions! To make or not to make; THAT is the question. Recently I've heard a few sides to this issue that make sense. Some people prefer not to make them because they feel anytime is the right time to make a resolution, to affect personal change, to set goals. I agree.

There is the other camp that likes the idea of taking one day to really contemplate the past year, and the coming one and try to identify how 'the man in the mirror' (headnod to Michael Jackson) might make a difference. I agree with that idea, too.

And I tend to follow that model in my own life.

Last year, I apparently was dissatisfied with the way I made use of my time and approached each day because as 2013 began my resolution was to change that. My overall goal was to live each day purposefully. I always have a to-do list, but sometimes I still felt as if I was spinning my wheels. It was time to take control of mindless time on the computer, unmotivated days when nothing seemed to get accomplished, planning that didn't come to fruition. How did I do? Pretty well. However, what really changed was how I greeted each day. I found a song that spoke to me about beginning and ending each day knowing I had 10,000 reasons to celebrate that God had a plan for me, even if things weren't going the way I wanted them to. And as the year came to a close, I could see that the attitude from the previous year was gone. I'm not sure I accomplished a whole lot more, but I felt much better about myself! Mission Accomplished.

Recently I saw a suggestion to choose one Bible verse as the goal for the next year and to find ways each day to put it into action. I like that idea. I may find that one verse for the year is overkill and perhaps I will change it every few months. On the other hand, now that I've chosen my verse, I will probably find frequent opportunities to use it. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 For In Everything Give Thanks....

I'm generally a thankful person, but in the next several months there will be some big changes in my life. We will be moving to a new home, in a new community. Larry will be retiring. We will be starting over, but this time we will do it without the benefit of many of the devices we've had at hand for getting connected. Children helped introduce us to many people our age. Getting them settled and into things was a conduit for finding out where stuff was. Walking the dog was a great ice breaker in meeting neighbors. Employment introduced us to co-workers who became friends, and told us the best doctors, and hair dressers and lots of other important stuff.

I don't embrace change. I much prefer stability and routine. This year, I will have many chances to grumble, feel disconnected, miss my old neighborhood and friends. Larry and I will be learning to live side by side 24/7. ...(In all things give thanks.)... He's actually more nervous about this than I am. During Thanksgiving week we stayed in the same house, without a TV, and little furniture, while it rained outside for days, and we painted rooms inside for days, and we never got into a hissy fit about something so I figure we were doing pretty well! But that was one week. After years of having him on the road literally 1/3 to 1/2 of the time, having him home 24/7/52 will be a challenge for both of us.

We are moving to a smaller house. Sorting through belongings that were collected over years of marriage and raising a family, and deciding what goes to the new house and what goes to a yard sale will be a challenge. Then there is the packing. ...(In all things give thanks?....Ugh, packing.)... And the actual move. I HATE moving. Larry and I both remember the depth of feeling when one exhausted night after our last move I looked at him and said, with steely calm and resolve, NEVER AGAIN! Well, here we go again!... (Yes, Connie....In ALL things give thanks...well, I'm working on it).

This move is voluntary. We chose this community. We like this house. We have already met several neighbors and they are friendly and social, and our age. We have found a church that we like and have met people that go there. All in all this should be an easy move. But I still know there will be moments when I grumble. When I'm exasperated. When I'm lonely. When I....need to remember that in every situation, there is blessing. And that most of the best growth comes through challenge. And that whether I see it or feel it at the time, and even when I don't understand, I still need to thank God for the blessing, both seen and unseen. Because in every move we've made, even the bad ones, there were things I learned, people we met, stuff we did, that was good.

Last year apparently was a building block for this year, even though I didn't know it. The song I sang at the beginning of each day will carry me through this year as well. My favorite line:

 "It's time to sing your song again. Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes." (10,000 Reasons/Bless the Lord written by Jonas Myrin and Matt Redman, Arranged and Orchestrated by Cliff Duren)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

And for that I can truly give thanks! Happy 2014, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment