Tuesday, January 14, 2014

January Doldrums

It's that time of year. January. Snow. Gray Sky. And then came the freeze! What a freeze. For 2 days while the thermometer stayed below zero, Maggie and I holed up inside.


Then the snow melted. The weather warmed up. And it RAINED. I think the sun has gone south for the winter. It came out one day for about 10 minutes, but I missed it. I was in the basement packing up the Christmas decorations.


I'm supposed to be grateful for all things. Well...... let's see.... hmmm....how can I say this?
I'm not grateful for the below 0 temps, the -35 windchill, and the constant gray sky! Maggie has been asleep for a week. I keep checking her to make sure she is breathing. She gets up, walks in a circle around the kitchen island for 3 hours at night, since she can't get out for her walk.


The icy snow has been a challenge for her, too. Twice I've had to go out and pull her up the hill to the front door. The first time was during the height of the freeze when the wind and the cold were just too much for her. And the second time came when she squatted to pee. She slipped on the snow and sat down and couldn't get any footing to get up. She just sat and waited for me to walk down and help her up. She is a constant reminder that getting old isn't fun.


So how am I handling all this great weather? Well, yesterday, I finally gave in. I woke up in a bad mood, and as the day progressed I didn't get much better. Finally around mid-afternoon I grabbed my coat, and a leash. It was gray. It was wet. It was above 32! One out of 3 was an improvement. Best of all, the sidewalks were clear of snow and salt so Maggie and I went for a walk. We both felt better when we got home. She went back to sleep. I added a Vitamin D infusion.....a nice blend of Florida Sunshine and Russian grains and potatoes. When we lived in the south a Screwdriver was a nice end to the day. Here in the north it becomes a must-have when January and February set in.


Let me end this mid-winter rant on a more serious note.


We survived the Polar Vortex very well. Pipes didn't freeze. Power stayed on. Not everyone was so lucky. I had a fire in the fireplace, and an electric blanket on the bed. I holed up on the really cold days with hot chocolate and a jigsaw puzzle. How VERY blessed I am!


In Florida cold spells could mean nights in the 20's. That's bitter cold when you're used to the 50's or 60's. When I lived in Tampa and we went through cold spells I worried and prayed about the homeless that were living under bridges and huddled around fires in a barrel trying to stay warm. I snuggled into my warm waterbed. (OH, they are so much better than electric blankets. The mattress is warm when you crawl in! Wow!) And I gave thanks, and prayed for those without heat. Since then I've never taken for granted the blessing of a warm bed.




In Pennsylvania, I still think of the homeless but I know there are many "Warming Shelters" for those who are without heat. I am thankful that there are people who are looking out for those in need.


And when the winter doldrums set in, I'm grateful for a warm coat to wear on a brisk day. I felt so much better once I inhaled fresh air. And then I warmed up with that great OJ infusion. And for that I am also Very thankful!

4 comments:

  1. I really appreciate this entry! It's kind of a primer as to how to turn negative feelings into more positive ones. For me sometimes you must allow yourself a period of time to feel what feelings are there, even if negative. But - from there you figure out where and how to go with them - and how to bring oneself up. It is a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. I always look to see if you commented!
    Bad moods are real. You can't deny them. You just can't wallow in them. The same with depression (not the clinical type but the temporary moody type), sadness, etc. The trick is to find a way to pick up and move on. That's always my goal...especially in January and February. Looking back through this blog shows me the cycle is always there. And that OJ and Vodka is always there, too! Which is funny because I don't drink it most of the year! Hang in there and choose...Happy...one way or another.
    One other thought; many years ago I would find myself depressed for a day, for a variety of reasons. I finally realized it was just a crappy day and I gave in, didn't try to accomplish anything, and told myself "today stinks. tomorrow will be better." And it was.
    To life. May you find the sweetness in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weather has been horrible, especially here in AK where we are having avalanches, melting snow, and damage to trees. I welcome back our freezing temps, as this is just so unnatural. If the snow melts anymore, we'll be in serious trouble when the cold stuff comes back - with possible issues with frozen septic tanks and the like. What a mess!

    Stay warm! I am tired of the gray, white, dirty snow and was glad to get away for a girls trip to Seward last weekend - just for the change of scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan. Valdez has been in the news here too. I'm with you. You can have your super cold back. You are prepared for it. I get tired of the gray, dirty snow too, but mostly I'm tired of having to shovel sidewalks every day. My granddaughter is sad because she's missed pre-school for 2 weeks. What a winter! Thanks for your comments. And keep posting!

      Delete