Monday, October 14, 2013

Living in the Moment

The last few weeks have been gorgeous! Blue sky, bright sun, low humidity; a crystal clear day with cool but not cold temperatures. It is Fall. Is there a better time of year? I don't think so. Even so, I have such a hard time welcoming September which signals the end of summer. I love the warm weather and sunshine so much, that when Labor Day comes, I start to regret the end of summer. I see fall as the pre-cursor to winter. I find it really hard to just enjoy it.

That attitude has always bothered me and I've struggled to find a way to deal with it. Worry is something I just don't allow myself to do. It is a waste of time. It ruins the present without doing anything to improve the future. I get that. So when I hesitate to really enjoy the present because 'winter will be here soon' I recognize the uselessness of that attitude. It may be easy to recognize, but that doesn't mean it is easy to conquer.

Each year I struggle to find a way to embrace the coming of fall. Finally this year I 'got' it. I had that AHA moment when the picture finally came into clear focus and I saw the real issue. I realized that for every day I was wishing it was still August, I was missing the fact that it was gorgeous out.

Last year I attacked the problem by listing the 10 things I liked about fall. This year I will do it differently. Today I updated my blog page with just a few of my favorite fall pics. It took me hours to do this because I had so many pictures of fall to sort through. Some old, some new. Clearly I love this season!

One of my favorites though is the single red leaf on the green maple tree. Maggie and I were out for our walk when I saw it. Hmmph! Clearly somebody (or someleaf) is in a hurry! I felt like telling it to take its time and enjoy the moment.

It is so much more fun that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment