Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Just Call Me Frederick

One of my favorite children's books was Frederick by Lio Lionni. It was a story told like a fable of a field mouse who spent his days absorbing the colors, the feel of the sun, the words that would remind him of sunny days when he and the other mice were holed up underground in the cold, dark winter.

The other mice are annoyed with Frederick because while he is enjoying the present, they are preparing for the future. Of course, when winter comes, Frederick has little food stored up for himself. As the winter drags on, the other mice get bored and restless. That's when Frederick comes through. Frederick starts talking. With words he paints pictures of flowers, sunshine, and warmer days for his friends. The moral of the story is a wise one. There is a need for the gifts each of us provide.

Lately I feel like Frederick. Not the wisdom part...the wistful part. When I walk I can't take my eyes off of the trees along the sidewalk. I seem to stop and photograph everything. One tree will be all green, the next is a shade of red so bright it almost hurts the eyes. The hillsides are a myriad of colors; gold, red, orange, and green. The pear trees haven't begun to change, but the eastern redbud has turned bright yellow and is dropping its leaves.


As I walk I breathe in the air, soak up the sun, drink in the colors and try to embed them all in my brain so that on a cold, gray day in February I will be able to pull them from my memory bank.

Part of me is still the 'worker mouse'. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about gathering nuts for the winter months. Giant Eagle will make sure there is plenty of stuff to make my own comforting soups and stews. But there is still a little work to be done. Monday I mowed the grass while soaking up the blue sky and rust colored hills.




Maggie wandered the yard sniffing the air and the grass for the many smells left by deer, rabbits, and other unseen visitors.


Yesterday I pulled frost-wilted plants from the beds and thinned out the herb garden, breathing in the sun-warmed sage and thyme. Maggie laid beside me in the grass soaking up the sun.

Any excuse to be outside, I thought. Just call us "Frederick".




2 comments:

  1. I think fall is the toughest season because it really is so fleeting - more so than other seasons. You only have a very short time to relish it, then peak color is over, and the leaves fall off the trees. So -- it is SO important we relish each moment, because it goes so quickly, not to return until the next year.

    Last year we sort of lost fall here on Long Island due to Hurricane Sandy. The leaves were all blown off the trees before they reached their peak color. (the height of fall is usually the first week of November) So -- I'm really relishing it now!

    I guess we prepare for winter by going south. You'll be joining us soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more winter to go...and then we head south. But I love fall, so I'm soaking up as much as I can!

    ReplyDelete