Thursday, October 24, 2013

Gradual Transitions

Years ago my family spent the end of summer in Connecticut at family cabins. The end always came too soon, and I, who relished vacations, never relished the idea of going back to work.

At the time we were living in Florida, which was a minimum 3 day drive for us. I would pack up the kids and the dog and head south. Larry was never able to allot that much time for a vacation, so the pattern was for me to drive the family north, visiting friends on the way. I would pick him up at the Hartford Airport so he could spend a week or 10 days with us, and take him back to the airport so he could fly home. Then we would begin our southern trek, visiting more family and friends.

The first day started out full of wistfulness. The first night and next day was spent at Nanny's catching up. Phase 2 was through Virginia. The kids traveled well, and I sang along on the radio, while they did their best to read or pretend they didn't know me. Day 3 was through the flats of the Carolina's and into Georgia. It was here I started to plan my fall school activities. Book clubs, incentives, bulletin boards, and story programs all came into focus on this particularly flat stretch of the road.

By the time I got home, (after 3 days on the road????) I was ready, not just to be home, but to get back to work!

Fall is like that. Summer fades reluctantly, but slowly. The warm days slow down and turn into gorgeous days. The humidity clears. Afternoon walks become more pleasant as the heat relaxes.
One day you are in shorts, the next in jeans. A hoodie is added in the evenings. The cold front moves through. A sweatshirt is donned for a mid-day walk. The air is brisk and refreshing on your face.

And you realize you have just made the transition from summer to 'almost' winter.

And just like that I realize it is still lovely out. The heat I enjoy is gone, but my pace is quickened when I walk. My coat keeps me warm. Winter will be here soon, but before it gets here there will be more gradual transitions. And when it arrives, I will be ready.

2 comments:

  1. It's been forever since I've commented, though I manage to read all of your entries at one point or another.

    When you mentioned your exit from Connecticut earlier in your marriage, I was reminded of OUR exit from Connecticut when we were children. Now ... THAT was NOT a slow transition from "vacation mode" to "school mode". If my memory serves me correctly, we'd leave Connecticut the day after Labor Day -- to avoid the heavy traffic of that holiday Monday. However, that left us only one free day after arriving home to prepare for school which traditionally began the Thursday after Labor Day. On the day we entered school, it seemed like a "lifetime ago" that I'd come home from vacation, even though it was only 2 days! It was a dramatic transition, but I admit that it wasn't all bad because as much as I didn't want to admit it then, I was excited about going back to school. There was something special about the "clean slate" of a new year and seeing everyone again. I wonder if there are some things about "almost winter" -- and even winter itself -- which bring their own excitement and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First snow...usually brings its own excitement, even from me. Nights are so much clearer, the starry skies are amazing in winter; and as much as I'm not thrilled at the shoveling, snow days off from school are still fun. Winter has it's special effects too.

    ReplyDelete