Saturday, October 27, 2012

An Articulated Quad-Track

I am now in phase 2 of a marathon fall pilgrimage. Usually I visit my two daughters and their families at different times, but this year the visits are literally back to back. Maggie and I made the long trek from Florida to Iowa, with a short visit in Atlanta seeing my sister and her husband.

The drive up was lovely and I had 2 days of fall with leaves in their prime and the sun beaming from a blue sky. The temperatures were very mild and the whole trip was delightful. By the time I reached Iowa the trees were bare, so 'pretty fall' is past and late fall is here.

Now I'm getting to catch up with my other 5 year-old grandson and 2 year-old granddaughter. 2 year-olds change so quickly that it is like finding a new child every time I see her. Samantha's chatter is almost undecipherable, but after awhile it is like learning a new language. Even without realizing it you recognize that 'babry duppi' is 'Granberry, thank you', and 'bobe ow' is 'puppy down' ( on the floor) and most importantly that 'I'm full' means 'I'm done' even if it means she is tired of doing puzzles or reading stories.

Warren doesn't change as drastically anymore. He and Nicholas are very different in temperment and interests, but one thing is the same. Nicholas is obsessed with Nascar, but he is learning that housekeeping in Pre-K is fun. Warren is just as obsessed with tractors but puzzles, and drawing pictures are finding their way into his life.

A big change for Warren is the addition of other brands. My John Deere only grandson has added Case/International Harvester (called CaseIH), and New Holland brands to the list of tractors he identifies with equal enthusiasm.

His knowledge and understanding of life on the farm astounds me. He listens with rapt attention to the conversation of the adults and asks them intelligent questions about all sorts of things. The other night we were out and heading home after dark. Spying a pair of large headlights in a field Warren suddenly piped up. "Is that the articulated quad track, Dad?" HUH? I've been around long enough to have learned what a quad-track was, but articulated? New one for me. I kept silent, but the next morning I had to ask Mike what articulated meant. (It bends in the middle. AH!)
CaseIH Articulated Quad-Track Tractor


"Yes", Dad responded.
"Oh, the CaseIH." Warren said, knowingly. (He spits out the words so rapidly it sounds like KCH.)

"What's over there?" Mike asked pointing to another set of headlights.
"Is it Tom?" (Warren's uncle)
"Yup"
"Oh"

Notice we are looking at headlights and it is dark! ( I will admit, the field Mike was pointing to, was by Tom's house, so that wasn't as ridiculous as it seemed.)

Now I've learned to recognize Sprayers and Planters, Diskers and Combines, Quad-Tracks, Skid-Loaders, Tractors, and Wagons. I can keep up with the CaseIH, John Deere and the New Hollands, but if I have to pick out a CaseIH Articulated Quad-Track by it's headlights, I might as well confess right now.

The Jig is up. I'll never know as much as my 5 year-old grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment