Monday, October 15, 2012

Heroes

A good pediatrician, an excellant nurse, and a fireman. What could they have in common? They are the ones that can make a 'bad' day an awesome one. They are the stuff of little boys' heroes!

It was time for Nicholas 5 year-old checkup. Checkups are easy. It's those darn vaccinations, boosters and flu shots that make kids want to grab hold of their mother's skirts and beg for protection. Zach was also getting a flu shot, so I went with Jen and Nicholas to the doctor's office.

I remember getting shots as a kid. They hurt! A pinch, a sting, an ache and it's all over. But who wants a pinch and a sting?? No kid I know! I think times have changed. The last flu shots I've had have been incredibly---painless! Truly painless! Smaller needles? Good nurses? Who knows and who cares? As long as it doesn't hurt I'm good!

Well, when it came time for the flu shot, Nicholas sat bravely on the table and stared at his mom while the nurse gave him the shot. Not a flinch. Not a blink. I think his felt like mine. Painless. Smaller needle? Good nurse? I don't know. Maybe both. Who cares? As long as it ends without screams it's all good.

Then it was Zach's turn. He's just a baby. No way you'll give him a shot without a cry, even a brief one. Andrea, the nurse got the injection ready. Jen shielded Zach from seeing what was happening. Nicholas made funny faces and googly eyes to distract him. Andrea gave him the shot. Not a flinch! Not a blink! Zach never knew what happened. Andrea proudly told them, "I told you. I'm good!" I don't know what the secret is, but I'm all for it. They are heroes to me. And if my grandkids knew how it used to be, they'd be heroes to them, too.

Jen had a few questions for the doctor so we left the room so she could talk privately. She was his last appointment which was great. He took the time with her and gave her the attention she needed. Advice, assurance, validation about her concerns. Any mentor or advisor who listens to your concerns is a hero, be they teacher, counselor, doctor, or nurse. They serve not only the person they are helping but everyone that person interacts with.

As we left the doctor's office a chance treat was waiting for us. Just outside the door was a fire engine. Several firemen (not in full dress-out garb which is a good thing because it means no fire is actually present) were clustered together talking. Jen smiled as we passed them and said, "Hey guys! So nice of you to stop by. My son just loves fire engines!" (For those of you who haven't tried this, take heed! Firemen love the hero worship of kids!) They looked at Nicholas and asked him if he'd like to see the truck. "Sure!" he said.

We walked him over to the truck and the guys lifted him up so he could climb in. (I'm not sure I could have made that first step into the truck. It was a big one!) Nicholas climbed up, checked out the seat and put the seat harness on. Two men exchanged glances, nodded to each other and then looked at Jen. "Where is your car? We'll drive him over."

"Really?"

"Sure. It's ok. You can trust us."

(I'm sorry. How can you say that with a straight face. They are firemen for pete's sake! In a fire engine! Like they are potential kidnappers? )

So, after bravely getting his flu shot without flinching, Nicholas got a ride in a fire engine. And when he got out, he had a badge on his shirt. And a big grin on his face. And I didn't have a camera.

As the truck drove away I asked him, "Did you see the number on the truck?"

"No," he answered. Then he looked up.

"FOURTEEN!" he said as it pulled away.

"Yup,"

You have to be a NASCAR fan to understand that one. Nicholas is a fan that comes from a family of fans. Nicholas can tell you most of the drivers, car numbers and sponsors from both the Nationwide and Sprint Cup teams. And he's only 5.  ( If you aren't a nascar fan, Nationwide is like the Arena Football league and Sprint Cup would be the NFL)

14? Means Tony Stewart, (Office Depot) in the Sprint Cup. And Tony was his dad's favorite driver. What other number would you expect on the Fire Engine that gave him a ride? None other.

A great way to end a heroic afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. OMG - I have such memories of getting shots. And - if I may be so bold to say - - they were given by my best friend's father. Ironic, kind of! In your case they were given to you by your father, which I imagine was even more ironic. Or - maybe that was just normal for a father to do that?!

    And - yes they hurt. It's only been in the last 10 years that my blood pressure doesn't run sky high because of my "nerves" about getting a shot. They are not as awful as they used to be. Who knows why (smaller needles or better nurses, as you say?) Or - I was just more sensitive to pain back then. I'm not sure.

    However, as a boy Scott was always kind of a "wuss" when getting a shot. Even when he was given a special chicken pox shot when he was - I think - I senior in high school (he never got that - and they finally got inoculations for that), he was like a little child with his nervousness!

    I've had my flu shot for this year! :) All's good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was my dad, and he did give me my shots. And they did hurt! I'm glad they are better now.

    ReplyDelete