Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Yoga: It's Not For Sissies!



 I love my yoga class...usually. It's a great way to start the day. The stretches feel wonderful. Most of the core strengthening is empowering. And at my age, working on that flexibility is a must. But sometimes it's just a joke.

YOGA INSTRUCTOR: Such a soothing voice... the music provides a quiet, rhythmic background...

"Cross your left leg behind your right leg... Slowly lower yourself to the ground with your left leg tucked under your body, bending your right leg... Inhale slowly ...as you wrap your left arm around your right leg and hug it to your body... Right hand on your back hip... Slowly twist to the right.  Exhale gently... Extend right arm behind you, palm up. ...."

Me: You had me at "hug it to your body".

YOGA INSTRUCTOR: Always spoken in such gentle, encouraging and hopeful tones...

"Sit in an upright position, extending both legs out in front of you... Arms raised, extend your body forward. Exhale... Left hand touches your toes, as you reach your right hand under across your body under your left, hand up. Pivot your body to the left...."

HUH???

Note to self: Never play twister with a Yoga Instructor!

6 comments:

  1. LOL -- this had me laughing -- and laughing! How old is this yoga instructor - like - 20 years old? Yeah ... at that age, I could move like that, too. Yoga and Twister might be a related exercise. And -- I SO remember Twister .. and playing it with you. I won't go near that game now... :-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually she's probably in her mid 40's, but she does this all day. The first time I saw a "hover" which is like holding a push up 2 inches off the ground for 30 seconds, I was like "You've got to be kidding me!". Still can't really do a push up, so hover just ain't happenin'.

      Delete
  2. Yeah Boy, that half spinal twist is a killer. But after not having done yoga for five months when our instructor moved away, I know I'd better keep doing it or I won't be able to move at all. Found a new teacher and am back on track even if I can't do half the stuff she wants me to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. You miss a month and it's like starting over...What happens to 'muscle memory' when you turn 60? It gets Alzheimers!

      Delete
  3. This made me laugh. I am taking belly dance classes, and sometimes the instructor warms us up with yoga stretches and positions. She expects us to balance on one leg while extending our hands upward, yada yada yada... she has no idea that I lost my sense of balance a LONG time ago! LOL Thank goodness for a wall to hang onto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance is exactly why I got back into it. I felt I was losing my sense of balance. You have a wall? I stare longingly at the wall but we are in a gym and the wall is way too far away. Flexibility is also good for me, but sometimes... well lets face it. Sometimes I just don't bend the way I used to!

      Delete